Student Involvement welcomes students back to in-person instruction with a fishbowl game

exc-6215416356d1e029d279376b
exc-6215416356d1e029d279376b

Student Involvement hosted another eventful Friday Night Live on Feb.11 at Weyden + Brewster in the student center from 8–9 p.m. One of the main goals of these events is to provide students various opportunities to engage on campus, as we all begin to return for in-person instruction. “We want our Seawolves to start building communities again, after being virtual for so long you sort of forget how to socialize… Friday Night Live helps students get back into the in-person groove,” stated Hailey Glass, Student Involvement member and second-year music major. 

The night was spent playing Fishbowl, a memory game that combines charades, passwords, and Taboo. To set up the game, attendants were split into two teams. Each team member was required to take three strips of paper; choose a word or phrase which could describe the names of a person, place, or thing; fill each strip and place them into a fishbowl. Once all the papers were in, each team took turns trying to guess what words were written in two-minute intervals. Teams alternated having one player from their team draw from the bowl. 

The game consisted of three rounds; each round continued until all the slips of paper were used, declaring a winner after totaling the number of words guessed correctly by each team. In the first few rounds, all players were hesitant to act out the written word in front of their fellow teammates. However, the players eased into the game’s flow as the night progressed, and all hesitation was abandoned.

The energy at the event seemed to be high-spirited, with many participants at the edge of their seats fighting the urge to shout out the word. Others giggled away after placing their papers into the fishbowl. “I thought the name of the game was interesting and thought, why not check it out. I wasn’t really expecting to have it be this fun,” mentioned Leah Vallespin, a third-year Biology major. 

After around twenty rounds and paper running out, the night ended with both teams declared as winners, with prizes like stickers, keychains, hats, and even a Sonoma foam finger, all courtesy of Student Involvement. Both teams displayed great sportsmanship, and they even shared a few selfies to commemorate a successful game night.

Drew Pfeffer, a second-year transfer student, said, “I’m having a great time, this is the best way to spend my Friday night. I recommend this to anyone who wants to get out of their dorm, meet people and have fun.” Students are looking forward now more than ever to having more opportunities to socialize with fellow classmates after two years of virtual life. 

Student Involvement’s efforts to organize events like Friday Night Live, and their push to encourage students to explore the campus and interact with different communities seem to be meeting a crucial need as everyone returns to campus. “At events like this, you meet different people that normally you wouldn’t run into because of their major. It’s nice to have a space where everyone comes together, especially after Covid,” said Vallespin. 

“Many students don’t know we have events all semester, every weekend [there is] something different… I recommend our seawolves come out and start discovering their campus again,” added Glass, emphasizing that many students were not aware of the in-person events for the spring semester, due to having the first few weeks of the semester online. 

Student Involvement will continue to put on Friday Night Live from 8–9 p.m., at Weyden + Brewster in the Student Center, featuring different activities from movies, trivia, Grocery BINGO to open mic nights and more. To learn more about upcoming events hosted by Student Involvement, check out Seawolf Living’s “Event” tab, SSU’s Engage website, and the Student Calendar for all events. 

STAR // Mikayla Fritzemeier

SSU students working together to give clues during the fishbowl game on Friday night at Weyden and Brewster’s.