Shock and excitement surround the 91st Oscar nominations

The nominations are in for the 91st Academy Awards Ceremony to be held once again at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood. 

As the nominations have been recently announced, many fans have had their expectations met, while many are stunned and disappointed in their favorite films not making the cut.

Shockingly to fans “Crazy Rich Asians” did not reach a single nomination, considering the buzz circulating around the film and success in the box office its first week. 

Many supporters agree that this film deserved to have at least one nomination since very few films host an all Asian cast. Although, the romantic comedy genre is commonly overlooked in the Academy compared to the dramatic film genres.

According to Vanity Fair, “Crazy Rich Asians was a box-office wonder last summer, retaining audiences at a nearly unprecedented rate throughout its theatrical run; since its release, it’s earned more than $238 million worldwide.” 

Leading with the most nominations has tallied up in a tie between Alfonso Cuaron’s “Roma” and Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Favourite” with a total of 10 nominations. 

Netflix scores its first nomination for Best Picture with its film “Roma”, although movies from streaming sites are not typically up for nomination as it overpasses the box office and delivered straight to consumers. 

As many fans predicted, the film “A Star is Born” has racked up a number of earnings, eight in total including Best Picture, Actor in a Leading Role, and Actress in a Leading Role. 

Just behind with seven nominations is “Black Panther” to include Best Picture and Costume Design. 

Supporters of the director, Spike Lee, are excited to see that he has finally been nominated for his first Oscar nomination, Best Director, for the film, “Blackkklanmans.”

Although “A Star is Born” has acquired several nominations, many fans were surprised to see that Bradley Cooper did not receive a nomination in the Best Director category. 

A part of the ceremony that many viewers look forward to watching are the numerous performances of their favorite songs in the Best Song category. 

This year however, the Academy has made the decision to only feature two of the five Best Song nominations to perform compared to three of five nominees in the previous years, cutting one performance. 

Performances include Kendrick Lamar and SZA’s song “All the Stars” from “Black Panther” and Lady Gaga’s “Shallow,” from “A Star is Born.” 

According to Vanity Fair, “The decision is said to be a time-saving measure meant to keep the famously long awards show at a three-hour run time.” 

This year the Academy has opted for a host-less Oscar, which has not occurred in the Academy since 1989, which many have believed to be widely considered the worst Academy Awards ceremony in Oscars history, so many are excitedly anticipating what this year’s Academy has planned to tackle the hosts duties. 

The decision to have a host-less Oscar comes after Kevin Hart stepped down as a host just days after the announcement of his hosting gig. Hart gave up his postion as host after receiving a significant amount of media attention and backlash circulating his tweets made in 2010 and 2011 over what was deemed as homophobic tweets.

According to Variety, “The ceremony will likely buck the tradition of having a master of ceremonies. Instead, organizers have chosen to patch together a host-less show.”

With the reduced length in show time and hostless ceremony, the award show is expected to be different from previous shows.

The 91st Annual Academy Awards will begin at 5 p.m. Feb. 24 on ABC.