Sonoma State to host workshop about the medical use of cannabis

exc-58a27513579fb3619e4d2a65
    exc-58a27513579fb3619e4d2a65

Now that California has legalized both the recreational use and medicinal use of marijuana, cannabis has become a hot topic in the business community as well as on college campuses.

Sonoma State University will be no exception.

On March 11, medical professionals, nursing students and the general public will gather on campus to take part in a symposium focused on the use of cannabis in the medical industry. 

The United Patients Group is presenting the symposium, titled, “Medical Cannabis: A Clinical Focus.” It will be held in the Student Center.

There was originally some confusion on whether Sonoma State would be hosting a course focused around learning about the medical effects of cannabis.

“We are not offering it; simply hosting it as a way to show the community that there are workforce development possibilities in industries that use cannabis as part of their work,” said Robert Eyler, Ph.D., dean of the School of Extended and International Education.

Eloise Theisen will direct the program. Nurses, physicians, and pharmacists will get continuing education credit for the course.  It will be held in Ballroom A of the Student Center. About 150 participants will attend the symposium, that will cover the history and benefits of medical cannabis, as well as advocacy and resources.

Tickets are now available online for $99 or at the door for $120. The event will last until 5 p.m.

Due to enforcing regulations on medical cannabis, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and healthcare professionals are expanding their education about the drug, which has been medicinally legal in California since 1996. The passing of Proposition 64 has helped prompt this.

Prop. 64 allows people 21 and older to grow up to six pot plants at home, own up to an ounce of marijuana and use it for recreational purposes. It will allow the state, as well as cities and counties, to regulate and tax the growing and sale of non-medical marijuana.

Because the university is publicly owned, and cannabis is illegal at the federal level, the school is not offering anything more than medical cannabis education at this time.

According to John Malacana, founder of United Patients Group, the education and consulting nonprofit “is an unparalleled resource and trusted leader in Medical Cannabis for physicians, patients and organizations. UPG acts as a virtual hand for patients, by helping them navigate through this ever-changing industry.”