Students show ‘Noma Pride’ at free bowling night

exc-621550b0fbf10d09b330efda
exc-621550b0fbf10d09b330efda

Like clockwork, at 10 p.m on the first Thursday of every month, Sonoma State students swarmed the parking lot of Double Decker Lanes in Rohnert Park to bowl for free from 10 p.m. – 12 a.m.

Double Decker Lanes is located off of Foxtail Golf Resort in Rohnert Park. It is a local, family-owned bowling alley featuring 50 bowling lanes, food, beverages, and an arcade. Double Decker has been a part of the Rohnert Park community for almost 50 years. It is also one of the largest bowling alleys in the North Bay. 

Associated Students Productions (ASP) event director and third-year biology major Maia Madrigal-Hernandez was not surprised by the large turnout. According to Madrigal, “The most people we have ever had at these events is about 340, and the least we have had is 150.” Madrigal explained that this month’s bowling night was pushed back because classes were still online earlier in the month.

For this particular Thursday night, the theme was “Noma Pride”, therefore students were encouraged to sport their SSU gears/colors. All that was required for free entry was an SSU ID and a green wellness clearance. 

Needless to say, students seemed eager to socialize. Groups could be seen dancing along to the variety of music Double Decker Lanes had to offer while taking turns bowling. Each bowling lane glowed, and overall the environment was bright, colorful, and noisy, which many seemed to like. 

Natali Luevano, a second-year business major, shared, “Honestly, I don’t bowl. I come for the atmosphere. It’s nice to see everyone, and it’s nice to feel like you’re a part of a larger student body.” Luevano is a returning participant and originally heard about the event through the Seawolf Living page. 

Nathan Khalili, a second-year computer science major, said, “I’ve come to every single bowling night the school has hosted… They are a great chance to get out of the dorms and do something that is not school or work related. Also, the best part about the event is that it’s free.” 

Furthermore, Khalili said, “These [events] start to die down towards the end of the semester, but I expected things to be really alive tonight because of everyone coming back to campus… I was afraid it was going to become overpacked.” 

Johnny Ochoa, a third-year history major, agreed that these events “…are usually pretty packed.” 

Diana Ruiz, a second-year business administration major, said that her favorite part of the event is “…seeing everybody and meeting new people.”

Although the bar was unavailable to students, an assortment of soft drinks and snacks were offered for purchase at the event. Students had options like pizza, burgers, french fries, and even Beyond Burgers. For those with more of a sweet tooth, cookies, ice cream, and churros were offered as well. Additionally, the bowling alley had vending machines. 

Some students participated in the theme, however, the attire was generally laid back. As a matter of fact, in speaking about improving bowling nights, Madrigal says that she would like to see more people “…dressed up and spirited.”

The next bowling night will be on Mar. 3, and the theme is “Black Out”. To find more information on the event, go to the Seawolf Living page or contact [email protected].

STAR // Mikayla Fritzemeier

An SSU student hopes for a strike while watching his bowling ball roll towards the pins at Double Decker Lanes in Rohnert Park on Thursday night.