‘The Vagina Monologues’ returns to raise funds for local crisis center

exc-5c638cc99b747a045e717282
exc-5c638cc99b747a045e717282

“The Vagina Monologues” is back at Sonoma State University on Feb. 15, 16 and 17 in Ballroom A at 7:30 p.m.

“The Vagina Monologues” was written by Eve Ensler in 1996. The play has been translated into 48 languages and has been performed in over 140 countries

Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for faculty and staff and $15 for community members. Tickets can be purchased both online and at the box office in the Student Center. All proceeds go to Verity, Sonoma County’s only rape, crisis and trauma healing center.

Cast members Chloe Johnson, Sami Hill and Jenna Zager promote The Vagina Monologues in Seawolf Plaza. STAR // Christine von Raesfeld

“Some of the goals of ‘The Vagina Monologues’ is to promote V-Day, a day created by Eve Ensler to raise awareness about different issues which affect trans/nonbinary folks and all womxn, to support Verity and to highlight people’s stories that often go untold or underrepresented in mainstream media,” cast member and Sonoma State senior Giovanna Castellanos said.

Verity is actively trying to end violence on a local level. It was founded in 1974 as Women Against Rape, which stood solely against the rape of women and helped them with trauma support.

The company now focuses on preventing all violence, with a focus in rape and abuse. 

With the proceeds from this show, Verity can provide prevention education workshops to over 5,000 Sonoma County youths ages 5 to 19 each year. 

Being a non-profit, Verity relies solely on donations and grants to stay open and support women.  

“The Vagina Monologues” showcases 58 Sonoma State students and strives to educate and change social attitudes towards violence against women and girls all over the world.

Ensler is an American playwright, performer, feminist and activist. She was awarded the Isabelle Stevenson Award at the 65th Tony Awards. This award recognizes an individual from the theatre community who has made a meaningful contribution of effort and time on behalf of humanitarian organizations. 

Ensler was awarded with this because of her creation of the V-Day Movement, which is a non-profit that raises money and informs society about violence that happens against women and how to prevent and stop it.

The show includes a series of monologues performed by women of different races and ages. Most of the content is designed for mature audiences and addresses taboo ideas of sex, orgasms, rape and abuse. 

“The show stands against gendered violence and shows society that we’re not going to stand for it,” senior Brieanne Forbes said. “We aim for awareness and public knowledge.”

The goal of this show is to normalize these taboo ideas and show women that being liberated and free is acceptable.

It is okay to talk about sex and masturbation as a woman and this show tells the audience that fulfilling your own needs is not as unheard of as it seems in the media. 

With the current standing of the women’s movement and equality drive, this is a better time than ever for a compelling show to be produced.

“There are a good amount of people within the group that are apart of the LGBTQ+ community,” junior Deja Whitney said. “Being bisexual myself, I feel like representation in that area is important and present.”

The strength of the cast and the context of the show is sure to compel taboo ideas, so students won’t want to miss the experience. 

“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed in Ballroom A in the Student Center on Feb. 15, 16 and 17 at 7:30 p.m.