Former administrator becomes CEO of cannabis company

exc-5a739c0fe2c48363b65dd23d
    exc-5a739c0fe2c48363b65dd23d

The recreational sale and use of marijuana is now legal in California, as of Jan. 1, which is making the cannabis industry a more attractive career path for many in Sonoma County, including one former member of the Sonoma State University leadership.

Sonoma State’s School of Business and Economics Dean William Silver has resigned and begun a new job as the CEO of CannaCraft, a premium California cannabis production and distribution company based in Sonoma County.

Silver said he stepped down in December from his position as dean after 10 years at Sonoma State to tend to, and spend more time with, sick family members. According to Sonoma State, Silver relieved himself as dean to become a professor again. However, shortly after stepping down, multiple companies approached Silver with job opportunities, including the CEO position with CannaCraft.

“When this came up, it was exciting and much faster than I thought, but was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up,” Silver said.

CannaCraft’s leadership team and company organization made his decision easy, Silver said. According to him, he loves the fast-paced environment and decision-making skills that will push the corporation’s values and products. CannaCraft produces products such as massage oils, vapor sticks and chocolates.

Considering the new Wine Institute on campus and the county’s reputation for wine, Silver said he believes the cannabis industry will only benefit that market.

“Both will complement one another in a sense of sustainability, economic development, ad technology and tourism within Sonoma County and surrounding areas,” he said.

While Silver sees growth in marijuana, in both economic and medical practice, he did not feel the same about his position at Sonoma State.

“I left after 10 years because I had done what I was set out to do,” Silver said. “The school was ready for someone to take it to the next level.”

Karen Thompson, professor in the School of Business and Economics, assumed Silver’s responsibilities as interim dean at the beginning of this semester.

“Dean Silver left a significant legacy and his leadership of our school will be missed,” Thompson said. “We will build on that legacy and create even more opportunities that serve the career interests of our vibrant student population.”

According to Sonoma State, Silver raised over $20 million in donations and scholarships, including $2.2 million for first-generation, low-income students.

Although California has legalized the recreational use of cannabis for those over 21, Sonoma State remains under federal law. Before the beginning of the spring semester, Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Harry Le Grande emailed students to remind them of the unchanged campus regulations and federal expectations. According to the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, using, possessing, growing or storing cannabis anywhere on Sonoma State property remains prohibited and may compromise the school’s eligibility for federal funding.

Previously, SSU held informational classes and open discussions about marijuana use. Silver said he hopes to be a part of the important open discussions in the future.

“I welcome my company or myself personally to be part of the conversations about the cannabis industry, its medical benefits and economic development within the area,” Silver said. 

Since California’s legalization of medical marijuana, use in 1996, 21 states have legalized medical marijuana  and an additional eight states have legalized medical and recreational marijuana use including Alaska, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Washington and Washington, D.C.

“As goes California, so goes the nation and the world,” Silver said. “Within the next five years, we see it legalized in many more places will the FDA classification changed.”