$40,000 in vitaculture scholarships still available

exc-5a83353153450af5199308a0
    exc-5a83353153450af5199308a0

Sonoma State University have selected and celebrated the first 15 Wine Industry Scholars Program recipients, each of whom will receive $10,000 scholarships. But more scholarship money is available for students who are connected to the wine industry somehow, whether through harvesting or wine-making.

These grants, meant to help offset the cost of tuition and living among college students from viticulture families, mark yet another step Sonoma State has taken towards its focus on the wine industry. 

Ever since construction began back in June 2016 on the campuses’ new $9.15 million Wine Spectator Center, eyes both on and off campus have locked on the college’s growing ties to the $62 billion California industry.

Erin Ringstad, the program coordinator for the Wine Business Institute, expressed her desire for students to know about the scholarships available. “We encourage all students to apply,” she said, “even if they are only involved at a very low level in the wine industry. The application form is quite straightforward and so similar to other grant forms that they can usually apply for multiple (scholarships) all at once.” In regards to the selection process, she stressed academic performance and passion for their areas of study.

Heavily funded by the world-renowned Wine Spectator Magazine and its scholarship foundation via a $3 million contribution, as well as pulling $1 million in funding from the well-known local Kobel group, the “Wine Spectator Learning Center” will hone the schools’ focus on the business side of viticulture for students.

As of Jan. 10, there was still $40,000 in Wine Institute Scholars Program scholarships being offered to applicants from various industry names through the Wine Business Institute. A fast-approaching deadline of Feb. 23 for applicants to get their names in the pool means students interested should begin applying. While the WISP money awarded this year seems like a massive amount, Ringstad said that compared to the past it isn’t a drastic increase; simply a new program.

Julia Garcia, an active and involved member of the wine industry outside of the university and recent transfer to SSU, expressed her excitement about the new building. “I heard that they were going to make a building for that area of study, but it’s nothing like I imagined!” Garcia said. “I am so excited to see what kinds of programs they’ll offer – I think talks from wine makers and maybe even demonstrations for the student body would be fantastic.”

She had no idea the school and WISP was offering scholarships.

“As a recent transfer,” she said, “it really seems like the school is throwing money at me, and now that they are adding in potential wine tastings I am really not complaining!”

With a focus on assisting the education of disadvantaged and underprivileged first generation students from backgrounds in vineyard and winery work, Dr. Karen Thompson stressed the impact these scholarships could have in a statement about the awards.

“As educators, we are thrilled to provide opportunities that make a difference in the lives of our students.” Thompson said. “Our hope and expectation is that this extraordinary group of students represents the first of many to receive academic support through the new Wine Industry Scholars Program.”

Sonoma State encourages all students, from tasting room pourers to accredited wine makers, to apply for the Wine Industry Scholars Program before Feb. 23. The application can be found online.