Four-year graduation rates addressed at ‘Pizza with the President’

exc-5a95aaf40d92976bc6d7f8e4
    exc-5a95aaf40d92976bc6d7f8e4

During the hustle and bustle of the lunch-time rush, President Judy K. Sakaki stood in the middle of Seawolf Plaza at noon on Thursday hoping to attract the attention of students looking to have their questions answered about Sonoma State University. Associated Students President Wilson Hall, AS Executive Vice President Jason Gorelick and AS Vice President of Finance Madeline Cline all joined her for the first ‘Pizza with the Presidents’ of the semester. 

One of the main concerns brought up at the event was the four-year graduation rate and how students in particular majors are having trouble getting the classes they need to graduate within four years. 

“We are looking to increase sections and courses for students,” Sakaki said. “The waitlists went down enormously within the past year, and that is a result of the provost and deans working hard to add more sections to campus.”

Many students, including some from Technology High School, passed by the event in hopes to get some free Lobo’s pizza along with a high-five from Lobo himself. 

40460135762_5c148e7998_o.jpg

Hall spoke about his experiences in college thus far to give incentive for students at Tech High to become Seawolves. 

“As far as my personal student experience, I am given the opportunity to create my own collegiate experience here at Sonoma State,” Hall said. “There are so many opportunities to get involved, and we can tailor to your needs and necessities as a student, and that is our job, to advocate for current and potential students. This is our space to create and make our own.”

Due to the weather, attendance at the event was minimal. ‘Pizza with the Presidents’ occurs twice every semester, giving students a chance to speak up about the changes they want to see happen on campus.