Technology High School to leave Sonoma State University after the 2018-19 school year

exc-5adf8d8cf950b7058fe14af1
    exc-5adf8d8cf950b7058fe14af1

Since joining the Sonoma State University campus in 1999, Technology High School has served as a college preparatory magnet school with programs focused on science, math and engineering. On Friday, Sonoma State announced that a tentative agreement had been reached to transition the Tech High program to an off-campus location after the 2018-19 school year.

With tentative plans to relocate the campus to Waldo Rohnert Park Elementary School for the 2019-20 school year, according to the Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District, the 12 classrooms and two computer labs utilized by Tech High will be available for university use during the renovation of Stevenson Hall slated to begin in fall of 2019.

Robert A. Haley, superintendent of the Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District, said in a statement that the school had outgrown the space in Salazar Hall and that the move will allow for growth in shop facilities, classroom space and areas for physical education.

“We believe this agreement and plan is in the best interest of the district as a whole and our community,” Haley said. “Sonoma State University has been, and will continue to be, a great partner with us.”

According to the tentative agreement, Technology High School will continue to work with the SSU School of Education and Department of Engineering, as well as allow students access to SSU facilities for certain activities.

President Judy K. Sakaki said she is pleased to continue the relationship that the university has built with Tech High over the years, according to a Sonoma State press release.

“We have grown with Tech High over the years and have been proud to have been a part of the development of this distinguished high school,” said Sakaki.