Restaurant Week brings hungry patrons to Rohnert Park businesses

exc-625f05ebf91aca167bf17f2d
exc-625f05ebf91aca167bf17f2d

It’s that time of year again, near the tail end of winter, when Sonoma County’s restaurants open their doors to patrons for Restaurant Week. Sonoma County has continued to make Restaurant Week a priority throughout the COVID-19 pandemic in hopes of supporting local businesses. Eighty-seven restaurants participated this year by offering reduced or fixed-price menus. Every eatery partaking in the event offered five-dollar “perks”, lunches that ranged from $10-$25, as well as dinners ranging from $25-$55. The event took place from Feb. 21 – Feb. 27.

Family-owned and -operated Bear Republic Brewing Co in Rohnert Park offered a fixed menu for guests partaking in the occasion. Patrons could choose from several appetizers and entrees and receive creme brulee cheesecake for $25 per guest. The brewing company is located a few miles from campus, off of Roberts Lake Rd.

Unfortunately, the restaurant only saw a dramatic increase in traffic on the first day of Restaurant Week which also coincided with President’s Day. Bear Republic manager Janon Spencer explained, “It has been a lot colder and windier. Last weekend [President’s Day weekend] was the busiest weekend we have had. If all the factors were the same as last weekend, as in if it was warm and 68 degrees without the wind, I think it would be a little bit busier.. Saturday and Sunday will be the real determining factors, to see how the week will play out.” 

The establishment includes sprawling outdoor patios that face a man-made lake. Many parties could be seen huddling next to heaters or occupying the smaller indoor dining area due to the sudden decrease in temperature.

Fay Rasmussen, a St. Mary’s student and Sonoma County resident, shared her thoughts on Restaurant Week while waiting for her food at Bear Republic, “I actually didn’t know they [Bear Republic] were participating in Restaurant Week until I walked in and saw the signs and special menus.. I think if you’re hungry, it’s hard to turn down a three-course meal for $25.”

Other restaurants participating in the event also experienced an influx of patrons during President’s Day and the first day of Restaurant Week. Dawn Zaft, owner of Criminal Baking, a popular bakery that serves pastries as well as breakfast and lunch said, “President’s Day was particularly busy paired with Restaurant Week. Whenever there is a holiday paired with a special event, it almost becomes chaotic.” Criminal Baking had two locations offering deals for the occasion. The primary location in Santa Rosa, off of Donahue St., offered four different lunch options and a five dollar pastry “perk”.

The lunch options included a pulled pork hand pie, chipotle chili, a focaccia club sandwich, as well as a “bomber bowl,” which consisted of a variety of ingredients including arugula, roasted garnet yams, bacon, goat cheese, oranges, candied pecans, and vinaigrette dressing. Each meal on the special menu was under 15 dollars.

Although seeing more guests come to Criminal Baking due to Restaurant Week was great, Zaft expressed some of her concerns, “We are actually understaffed, like a lot of restaurants nowadays. So, we get a big wave of people in, but we aren’t necessarily able to staff up as much as we normally would for something like Restaurant Week… To be trying to encourage business growth and bring new people in, but then also possibly having to tell them to wait longer is not ideal.” Nonetheless, Zaft said, “We love Restaurant Week. The year is usually very slow, and then around Valentine’s day, it starts to pick up, so Restaurant Week comes in at just the right time to help encourage business, and that’s really important to us.”

STAR // Mikayla Fritzemeier

Bear Republic Brewing Co. in Rohnert Park showcases a large tank in front of the establishment with their original IPA recipe “Racer 5” emblazoned on the front.