Phi Sigma Sigma hosts philanthropy event for children in need

exc-5adf91380e2e72a86eecc451
    exc-5adf91380e2e72a86eecc451

A simple game of dodgeball can make all the difference to kids in need. Phi Sigma Sigma aims to make that difference for those struggling to obtain basic needs. 

Their eighth annual dodgeball tournament, held on Sunday afternoon, allowed different organizations and groups to compete in a charity dodgeball tournament.  

First place winners Alpha Delta Pi poses with members of Phi Sigma Sigma at their annual dodgeball tournament on April 22. Courtesy // Alpha Delta Pi

The annual tournament raises money and school supplies for the Kids in Need Foundation, which supports underprivileged families and schools. 

Phi Sigma Sigma also had an opportunity drawing basket where students could bid on certain baskets to help raise money. For the viewers of the tournament, their entrance fee was a $5 donation or unused school supplies. 

Emma Omega, a junior and a member of Phi Sigma Sigma, said, “donating school supplies is so important because without the proper supplies it can be hard for kids to succeed in school.” 

However, this year half of the money raised from the tournament will be going to a cause that hits a bit closer to home with the sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma. 

They are donating half of the proceeds to the family of Sonoma State Student Paulette Quiba, who was a member of Phi Sigma Sigma and tragically passed away last semester when she was hit by a drunk driver. This year, eight teams showed their support for Quiba and the Kids in Need Foundation as they went head to head to win bragging rights and $100 donated to a philanthropy of their choosing. 

Kaytlin Abad, president of Phi Sigma Sigma, said, “the annual Phi Sig dodgeball tournament is such a fun event that all of our sisters look forward to it each year.”

“I love that we are able to promote Greek unity and raise money for such a great cause,” Abad said.  “We are so fortunate as college students that it is important to give back.” 

Many sororities and fraternities take pride in supporting other organization’s philanthropies, whether they partake in the games or donate to their cause. Allie Barri, a member of Alpha Delta Pi’s winning team, said, “It was so much fun playing against and cheering on other sororities and fraternities, and I definitely felt the Greek unity on and off the court.” 

They divided the tournament into two brackets; a men’s bracket and a women’s bracket. The teams played rounds of dodgeball that consisted of three games in a set. “Robbie and the Boyz”  and Alpha Delta Pi played round after round, making their way into the championship game. 

The winners of the men’s bracket were “Robbie and the Boyz,” a team composed of SSU students, while Alpha Delta Pi was the winner of the women’s bracket. 

“Overall, it was a great day playing dodgeball and supporting kids in need,” Abad said.