Senior Music majors get one last song

exc-5c6ca11d4785d3f3f223359e
exc-5c6ca11d4785d3f3f223359e

Starting in March, senior Music Performance and Music Education majors will have their last shot at taking the stage at Schroeder Hall.

To many, music serves as a form of entertainment, yet to others, it is a way of self-expression. Many find music to be a way that they can relate to others and make it a point to connect with their audience through their work even if it’s just for a few minutes.

Sonoma State University being the home of the Schroeder Hall provides a unique opportunity for its students and performers to be a part of. 

Senior Music majors Haley Sambrano and Jacob Rosales. STAR // Jacob Loher

The specially handcrafted hall creates a space for the accentuation of instruments and voice in a close setting. Every year, Sonoma State is granted with special performers and famous musicians that come to share a piece of their life’s work with us and our community.

“The opportunities I’ve been able to be a part of here are indescribable,” said senior tuba player Jacob Rosales. “I was able to play with the U.S. Navy Band which was incredible.” 

Throughout their years in the music program, they are taught how to train their ears in order to achieve the perfect sound, while also focusing on the origins of music and diction in other languages. 

Each performer has been assigned pieces of work since the beginning of their career in the music department, which they have been perfecting as they advance. These recitals are where seniors get to showcase all they have learned in the past four years.

The requirements for vocal major recitals includes singing in multiple languages such as French, German, and Italian; some even choose a language that relates to their heritage. 

In addition, each performance for vocalists must be a minimum of 45 minutes and contain three songs for each set they sing. 

As for an instrumentalist, if they are participating in a joint recital each person is required 30 minutes of performance. 

Each senior is also expected to create their own recital posters, event page and programs which also include translations for lyrics of pieces in other languages.

Prior to senior recitals, it is required that Music Performance majors have a junior recital as well. This prerequisite ensures that each performer is growing and improving their skill set as they go through the program.

“Not only is it an accumulation of the pieces that you’ve learned, but it’s also practice for going out into the real world to be a performer,” said senior vocalist Camille Cintas.

Many take this opportunity to tell a story about themselves whether it is through the music and rhythms or actual lyrics being sung. 

Senior vocalist Grace Kelly, described how she has carefully crafted a storyline of her time here at Sonoma State, while also making sure she shows the range she is capable of. 

Kelly dedicates a set of her performance to her Irish heritage by performing Celtic songs that hold specific meaning to her.

“When I was a young kid my cousins and godmother would sing that song and it was like our song and our moments… so I am fortunate enough to incorporate their life into mine through my recital,” said Kelly.

Recitals begin the first weekend of March and are free to students and the public.