Sonoma State officials undergo emergency training

About 50 university officials underwent a four day training last week to improve their ability to respond to a disaster.

“It’s a way for us to hone our decision-making and communication skills,” said Paul Gullixson, the university’s associate vice president of strategic communications.

The training involved many different scenarios, such as if the university needs to shelter people or if the power or cell reception goes out. They simulated a large earthquake hitting campus.

“It helps us understand how to better coordinate and work with outside agencies,” Gullixson said. These agencies range from Sonoma County first responders to the Chancellor’s office in Long Beach. “Everything is on the table,” he said.

There are about 50 employees who underwent the four day conference. They make up the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).

Sonoma State uses the EOC when officials believe there is an emergency currently happening.

The EOC was activated twice last year, with one instance being the wildfires and the other being the stabbing that occured in May. 

Provost Lisa Vollendorf said that after the EOC ran for nine days last year during the fires, they became aware they needed a stronger training to ensure those called during a crisis have a “deeper bench of knowledge.”

She said that during the training the staff became better prepared for emergency management. 

“We are entrusted with the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff, and we also play an important role in helping our communities be safe,” she said about the university’s role in an emergency.

Gullixson said in the two instances last year, the EOC worked very well, “but there’s always room for improvement.” He believes these new training will help with communication and coordination.

“These kinds of training conferences and exercises help us to do a better job of responding more effectively and efficiently in a time of crisis,” Gullixson said.

Vollendorf said the training, “allowed us to expose more than 50 employees to the theories, guidelines, laws, and practices that enable counties, states, and institutions to work effectively together during emergencies across the country.”