Sonoma State offering free rides to polling place

exc-5be0fa948985834fe398db2d
    exc-5be0fa948985834fe398db2d

The Nov. 6 midterm election will have monumental impacts on local, state, and national platforms.The way this election goes will determine local measures, statewide propositions along with citizens voting for candidates in many different positions.

Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. For students who don’t have access to a car in order to get to the polling stations, Student Involvement took a stand to make sure that those who are faced with this problem are able to get their votes casted. 

Student Involvement staff will be driving students around in order to make sure they can do so. This will take place Tuesday Nov 6 from 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and those needing a ride are being asked to meet at the flagpole. After they are picked up they will be taken to the local elementary school–Monte Vista, which is about a mile from campus. It is the only polling place in Rohnert Park There is no RSVP or registration necessary to participate, you just have to show up and be ready to cast your vote.

Joanie Ly, the campus life advisor of general clubs played a large role in coming up with and implementing the idea. She explained how students who weren’t able to register to vote can still actually go with them and register at the polling stations and vote right then and there. 

“This is exciting and a fun fact that not a lot of people know. So there’s really no excuse to not vote,” Ly said. She went on to say Student Involvement also plans to put up signs of all the propositions on the ballot around the student center. “This way students will know exactly what they are voting for,” she said. LoboVision is also broadcasting ballot information.

Senior Helen Campbell is very adamant about students voting and has been pushing them to register for weeks. “Sonoma ensuring that those who are able to vote have the opportunity helps to increase the outcome of the vote that happens in our generation. The ages 18 to early 30’s are the largest in our population and there are enough people to change the outcome.” Campbell went on to say, “These midterms are incredibly important because it’s our generation being affected. In order for a change to happen by those that want to see it, it is incredibly important that we have access to these polling stations and Sonoma providing that access is amazing”.