New learning center merges academic resources

exc-5c07459988251b05f9a2623d
    exc-5c07459988251b05f9a2623d

The new Learning and Academic Resource Center (LARC) is hosting an Open House Showcase on Thursday, Dec. 6 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the LARC, first floor of the University Library.

“We welcome all students, staff, and faculty to come check out the LARC, enjoy some food and see what LARC programs have been doing this semester,” said LARC director Loriann Negri. The event is targeting all members of the campus community for celebration.

The LARC houses the Writing Center, the Tutorial Program, and the Supplemental Instruction Program. This space is primarily a place for students to be writers, scholars, and learners through free students support services. Students are able to use this space for studying, researching, and printing. 

The Writing Center is meant to help students, faculty, and staff with developing their writing skills for class papers or for instruction, and producing documents. The Tutorial Program offers free peer tutoring in over 50 courses each semester. The Supplemental Instruction Program is a peer-led academic assistance programs that helps students succeed in specific course sections.

The LARC is the product of many people, both in Academic Programs and Student Affairs to bring together academic tutoring and support for students in one location on campus. Tutors are available for those who need assistance in studying or assignments in subject specific tutoring through the Tutorial Program and Writing Center tutoring.