Women artists showcase their work at ‘A Beautiful Mess’

exc-627184b03c3a310df7e9c906
exc-627184b03c3a310df7e9c906

The University Art Gallery welcomes its first show of the semester, A Beautiful Mess: Weavers & Knotters of the Vanguard, from Feb. 24 through April 10. Organized by the Bedford Gallery, the exhibit includes 17 works by ten women artists stretching the boundaries of woven art. “Bringing this exhibition to our gallery is both exciting and enlightening. When the campus closed, the gallery was frustrated in its mission of offering its resources both to students and the larger community. It struggled on, as many arts venues did. We had exhibitions online, but I think any art lover will tell you it’s not the same. The fiber arts have interested me for a long time, so I am excited to bring our visitors this show,” said Jennifer Bethke, Interim Gallery Director.

All of the featured artists use weaving or knotting as their primary artistic style. The featured artists of this exhibition are Windy Chien, Kirsten Hassenfeld, Dana Hemenway, Kira Dominguez Hultgren, dani lopez, Hannah Perrine Mode, Liz Robb, Meghan Shimek, Katrina Sánchez Standfield, and Jacqueline Surdell. These artists certainly were not limited to traditional fabric; implementing the use of wire, clay, yarn, and rope; knotting and twisting their medium to create various sculptures that range from minimalist to outlandish — and transcending traditional perceptions about the art of knotting, macremé, and weaving with traditional materials.

The exhibition features a 10-foot-tall wall hanging an untitled piece by Hemenway woven from 42 extension cords and augmented with wood and fluorescent light fixtures. Windy Chien depicts computer imagery in her 2021 piece titled “ Circuit Board”, created from rope, synthetic Chainette yarn, and vintage 24-karat gold Japanese thread. 

“I’ve gone to the exhibition around three times already. Dana Hemenway, who is San Francisco based, was my main interest in coming to the exhibition, but after taking a glimpse of the rest of the artists’ work, it’s hard not to come back to enjoy the rest of the artwork,” said Luis Marcos, a third-year art history major. 

In Chicago artist Jacqueline Surdell’s 2018 piece titled “Orange 2”, she uses braided cotton cord and a steel curl bar, all anchored by a 15-pound weight, to create a unique wall hanging. The entire piece weighs 96 pounds and stands nearly 8 feet high. “What’s interesting to me in this exhibition is not only the different medium the artists are utilizing but the way they are doing it. I would’ve never thought about nylon rope and zip ties as an artist’s medium of choice.  Kira Dominguez’s  ‘Across_1’ piece is a full handspun piece that blew my mind,” continued Marcos. 

Oakland artist dani lopez, who prefers her name and titles all in lowercase letters, created a bright multicolor art pierced tilted “tell me that love isn’t true”, 2019, from handwoven cotton and hand-cut novelty fabric. The piece from her 2019 handwoven art series exploring queer desire, femininity, and femme identity has become a favorite by many who visit the University’s Art Gallery. “I’ve always admired dani lopez’s work, and the passion and work ethic she carries is amazing. I’ve been a fan of dani since her first art series back in 2018; getting the opportunity to see her work is a great treat. I’m glad this exhibition will be around for a bit longer,” said Shannon Davis, a third-year women and gender studies major. 

“The work speaks for itself. It’s colorful, fun, and playful. It’s an essential opportunity for art enthusiasts and anyone interested in exploring different aspects of weaving to make time and check out the exhibition,” added Bethke.

The campus gallery is open Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. and weekends, 12 p.m.-4 p.m. Admission is free to students and the public.

STAR // Mikayla Fritzemeier

A woven piece by Kira Dominguez Hultgren, titled ‘Wingspan’.

STAR // Mikayla Fritzemeier

Waiting for Tomorrow (2021) and Repairing (2020), by Katrina Sanchez Standfield, at the University Art Gallery.