Employee housing move-in delayed

exc-5c633eba15fcc055fd8e7f43
    exc-5c633eba15fcc055fd8e7f43

Heavy rain has delayed construction on the university’s recently purchased Petaluma housing decelopment. Originally, the university announced that tenants would be moving in January 2019, but the espected move-in date has been pushed back to early March.

Back in November, the California State University Board of Trustees unanimously approved a $42 million acquisition in which Sonoma State would purchase an apartment complex in Petaluma. The 90-unit complex is almost complete and is being used to house numerous faculty and staff from the campus. 

About 20 of the 90 units will be reserved for future hires, said Associate Vice President for Administration and Finance Neil Makely.

The university hopes for the complex to be filled by August.

The new apartment complex is right off Highway 101 and 15 minutes from campus.

The property was funded by reserves and state bonds from the university. Housing services will manage the complex and its financial aspects. 

“These 90 units, studios to three-bedroom apartments, are located about 15 minutes from campus, right off Highway 101 and near the SMART commuter train station. Securing this development will enable us to maintain excellent faculty and staff who in turn will help us better serve our students,” said Joyce Lopes, vice president of administration and finance.

The complex must also pass an inspection by the state fire marshall. The inspection date is pending.

The complex was constructed by Basin Street Properties, a commercial real estate company out of Reno. For them, their work is centered around creating spaces where a tenant can succeed, and with this project, they have created a multi-family, four and five story complex, which is adjacent to the Petaluma Marina. 

Housing for the workforce of Sonoma State has been something that has been a major issue in previous years with skyrocketing prices for living in the area. Especially after the wildfires that raged throughout our county last year, the surrounding areas, if not already scarce, have become much less affordable. 

With the fires destroying nearly 5,300 homes, Sonoma State faculty were having to live farther and farther from campus and commute on a daily basis. 

“To meet the needs of local demands, officials say the county needs to add 30,000 more housing units by 2025. In addition to adding more stress to the quality of life of our employees, we are finding that one in every five job candidates, faculty, staff, and administrators who are offered positions at Sonoma State have turned us down this past year due to the high cost and lack of availability of housing,” said Lopes. 

By completing this new housing for the people of Sonoma State, the university is hoping to be able to hire more qualified staff, while simultaneously providing them with housing they can afford. 

The complex will cost the average tenant around $2,200 to $3,500 per month and will consist of studio flats all the way up to three bedroom family apartments. 

Associate Vice President for Administration and Finance, Neil Makely, added that they are keeping a detailed list of employees who are interested in the development. “They can email Jill Crenshaw with their name, email, phone number, employee type—faculty or staff—and type of unit desired; studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom or three-bedroom.”