Additional campus safety patrols planned

exc-5c6c73a3f9619a620819d69e
    exc-5c6c73a3f9619a620819d69e

Officers on bicycles and electric motorcycles are among the recent practices implemented into or planned for the public safety initiatives of Sonoma State University by University Police. 

According to a statement by Chief of Police David B. Dougherty on the present and future of Sonoma State’s campus safety, bicycle patrol offers various potential benefits.

“Bicycle patrol is a great way for an officer to access areas that are inaccessible to police vehicles,” said Dougherty when asked about plans to implement officers on bicycles on campus. “Additionally, bicycle patrol enhances officers [sic] ability to interact with community members due to the approachable nature of the bicycle.” 

Dougherty additionally commented on the silent nature of a bicycle as a deterrent for criminal behavior and the health benefits of a bicycle riding for the officer that uses it.

Police officers investigate the scene of a fatal stabbing at Alicante in Sauvignon Village last May.

The University Police Department’s (UPD) online page describes the efficacy of both bicycles and police vehicles in maintaining campus safety. The page also states that the bicycle patrol program “is seasonal and subject to campus demand,” and that the bicycle officer “also assists the crime prevention officer with presentations on crime prevention and personal safety.” 

The bicycle officer is a part of the Police Departments Campus Oriented Partnership Policing Strategy Program, which the UPD website states was launched in 2003.

On the topic of a planned deployment of officers on electric motorcycles onto the Sonoma State campus, Dougherty reiterated the maneuverability of motorcycles as compared to other police vehicles, and also mentioned the environmental benefits of the electric motorcycle, saying “The motorcycle is powered by a battery versus gasoline, which is good for the environment!”

In response to questions about the maintenance of on-campus parking lights, Dougherty described the partnership between the University Police and Facilities Department to “identify lights that need to be replaced or repaired in support of campus safety.” 

Among the other services provided by University Police to maintain the safety of the campus are safety escorts and motorist assistance, which can be requested through the department’s non-emergency line at (707) 664-4444.

The University Police Department’s online page states that Police Services survey lighting conditions on the Sonoma State campus weekly, and then work with other departments to amend flaws. Police Services also encourages those that notice lighting problems to contact Police Services.

University Police Services notifies students of immediate threats to campus safety through University alert systems, such as via text and email. Police Services also provide a record of all incidents and arrests addressed or conducted by University Police on the University Police Services page on the Sonoma State website. Additional information relevant to campus safety is also available on the Police Services website, such as information about staff and contact information, University Police Services policies and crime prevention initiatives, as well as information about upcoming events related to Police Services.

Dougherty also emphasized the option to do a student internship for criminal justice students, describing that the UPD interns “not only develop skills that will help them succeed in the future, but, [sic] they are also deployed around campus to provide an additional measure of visible security and safety.” 

Information about Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies internships is on the CCJS online page on the Sonoma State website.