Juvenile arrested in shooting near school

On Sunday, April 21, a 16-year-old gang member from Santa Rosa was arrested for shooting an 18-year old male during a party in the 5000 block of Snyder Lane in Rohnert Park, according to a press release by Rohnert Park Public Safety. 

The victim is being treated for a non-life threatening gunshot wound in the leg after he confronted a group of three males who were trying to steal a backpack belonging to the victim’s friend.

Santa Rosa police’s gang detectives were able to identify the suspect based off of a nickname the victim provided them. The victim later confirmed the identity of the suspect as the shooter.

At 9:46 p.m. on April 21, the Santa Rosa police found the suspect in his car with a loaded gun matching the victim’s description of the weapon. The suspect, whose name is not being released because of his age, was booked into Sonoma County Juvenile Hall after he was interviewed by the police. 

The suspect was charged in the Rohnert Park shooting with robbery and assault with a firearm, and was charged by the Santa Rosa police with “Possessing a Loaded Firearm in a Vehicle, Being a Convicted Felon in Possession of a Firearm and Ammunition, and Providing False Identification,” according to Rohnert Park Public Safety. 

Rohnert Park police are still looking to identify those who where at the party and the other two males who were with the suspect during the time of the robbery and shooting.