Seawolves showcase their talents at Open Mic Night

exc-627187392d4b771042c1c5c9
exc-627187392d4b771042c1c5c9

Students took the floor to showcase their talents at ASP’s (Associated Students Productions) first open mic night of the semester on Wed. March 9 from 7:00 p.m – 8:00 p.m. The event took place on campus at Weyden + Brewster and featured a variety of talents, including musicians, comedians, scriptwriters, and poets. Altogether, 5 students performed and approximately 15 audience members attended the event. 

Giovany Morales, ASP event coordinator and a 3rd-year early childhood studies major, explained, “We [ASP] want to provide a creative outlet for students to come in and relax and perform their talents. We really want to add to the college experience by getting a community together to show students what Seawolves are capable of… Typically, we have been doing Open Mic Nights online. In total, we did 2 online and had about 5-6 performers.” Morales then went on to share his overall views of the event as an audience member, “I’m a musician myself, so I love watching people play music. I’m not a poet, but I recognize how difficult it can be to write poetry and speak from the heart; Witnessing moments like that is wholesome and what makes this community great.” 

Upon arrival, students were asked to show SSU identification and proof of a green wellness clearance. Coffee with creamer, Oreos, and Rice Krispie treats were offered at the event free of charge. For musicians, an electric guitar was provided. Although Weyden + Brewster does not have a stage, ASP arranged the room appropriately for the occasion. Before and after performances, music played on two prominent speakers to help to ease the tension that can come with performances like these. Mingling was encouraged.

Saffron Walters, a 2nd-year Communications major, sang and performed stand-up comedy at the event. Walters, who has been to three Open Mic Nights, said, “I think [Open Mic Nights] are pretty well done. I like getting up there and having fun, that’s what it’s all about. I haven’t performed in quite a while because of the pandemic… I was a little anxious, but that comes with the territory.” Walters’ comedic skit was based on her experiences as an individual who was conceived through in vitro fertilization. More specifically, she talked about how people react to hearing about how she was born and some of the unusual requirements for sperm donors. Walter wrapped up the event singing a song called Sweet Baby James, by James Taylor. 

Other students took the comedic route as well. Rachel Burson, a 3rd-year business major, said, “Tonight I just really wanted to do comedy… It’s a coping mechanism for sure. I’ve been going through some stuff, and usually, when I rant, I get people to laugh because I know I’m putting them through some emotional labor. I try to bring levity, so [people] don’t feel the constant pressure.” In Burson’s skit, she joked about getting through life in a spiteful manner and how she prevents herself from blowing up at others when the world becomes overwhelming. 

Overall, the small crowd was encouraging and receptive to each performer, which Walters commented on while sharing tips to those interested in taking the floor, “I’d say practice, that’s always beneficial. I think it’s also important to stay focused and remember that audience members want you to succeed, not a single one of them wants you to fail. If you stay in a good headspace, you’ll be alright.” At one point, audience members even celebrated a musician’s comeback after experiencing some technical difficulties mid-performance. 

The next Open Mic Night will take place on April 6 at the Alumni Amphitheater, near Person Lawn. To learn more, contact [email protected]

STAR // Montana Lahey

SSU Seawolf, Devin, played electric guitar and sang covers at ASP’s first open mic night of the semester. Open mic night is open to all Seawolves who would like to share their talents with their peers.