Santa Rosa hosts another year of water bark

exc-5d817e1420cd562378393125
    exc-5d817e1420cd562378393125

Water Bark.jpg

With this end of summer heat-wave arising, many pet dogs have been lingering in the shade trying to stay as far away from the sun as possible. If you find your pup doing the same, there is a great solution. Sonoma County Regional Parks Foundation is hosting “Water Bark” at Spring Lake every weekend for the remainder of September. 

The Sonoma County Regional Parks Foundation is a local Nonprofit organization that works with over 50 parks and trails in the Sonoma County area.

Water Bark is a great way to get your pet in the sun, and cooled off during these hot end-of-summer days. Not only will they get to run around off-leash and splash around, but they will also be able to do it with all their furry friends. 

“For four weekends in September following Labor Day, dogs are welcome at the Spring Lake Swimming Lagoon for off-leash swimming and romping. The water in the swimming lagoon is filtered and chlorinated to ensure it is safe for dogs.” Said Melissa Kelley, the Water Bark Executive director.

Water Bark is hosted annually and is a significant fundraiser for the Sonoma County Regional Parks Foundation. By hosting this event, they are raising money for a 50 some dog-friendly parks and trails in the Sonoma County area. 

Here in Sonoma County, we are fortunate enough to have many dog-friendly lakes, rivers, trails and parks. Not everywhere is so kind to our four-legged friends.

Kody Kennedy, a Sonoma State Senior, and dog owner said “the creators of water bark did a great job thinking outside of the box. This is not something you see or hear about often, or even ever.” Water Bark is only held once a year, and this is the perfect time for it, dogs deserve a chance to beat this heat too.

“It gets boring and repetitive going to the average dog park every day because the dogs don’t have the opportunity to run free through the water and splash around the same way as they would at the lake. I also think the no leash rule is a great way for dogs to socialize with each other, and it offers dogs new freedom that they may have not experienced before.” Said Kennedy.

It is also important to note that the water had been purified and the algae have been tested to ensure the safety of your pets and their health. The Water Park Foundation stated “Many people are understandably concerned about the current issue of algae in untreated waterways in Sonoma County. Please note that Regional Parks treats the Water Bark to keep it safe for dogs. The Water Bark is located in the Spring Lake swimming lagoon, which is chlorinated, filtered and closely monitored by Regional Parks staff. As an extra precaution, Regional Parks is increasing its water treatments for the month of September. The swimming lagoon is separate from Spring Lake, which is not treated.”

The Sonoma County Regional Parks foundation has also provided different pricing and memberships to dog bark on their website they state “Each dog gets its very own ID card, like a gym membership” This is a fun way for your dog to work off his energy and get some valued playtime in. Their website also offers more in-depth details about the pricing and locations for Water Bark.