Important Deadlines Loom for Business Administration Majors

exc-5d940f2e5fcdb10c266fe657
    exc-5d940f2e5fcdb10c266fe657

Students across campus are rushing to fulfill obligations in time to meet a hard deadline for business administration majors and those looking to declare pre-business.  All steps must be completed and all documents filed by Friday, October 11.

In order to secure a spot in the School of Business and Economics, prospective students must meet enhanced admission requirements including attending a Pre-Business workshop. Students wishing to declare Pre-Business that have not yet attended a workshop have three remaining chances this semester: Friday, Oct. 4 at 1 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 11 a.m., or Thursday, Oct. 10 at 12 p.m.  RSVP for workshops at sbe.sonoma.edu/academicadvising.

The first workshop, held Aug. 29, was filled to capacity, and Tracy Navas hosted the event.  Students were guided through the relatively complex process and given forms to complete the change of major or addition of second major process.

Pre-Business students must successfully complete all General Education requirements and required preparatory courses. Specific requirements apply based on the number of units completed, and a chart is available at the university’s business administration website that lists the specifics. Prospective students need to bring proof of completion with documentation and a Change of Major form to the School of Business and Economics office in Stevenson 2042.

campus.jpg

After declaring Pre-Business, students must pass a computer competency exam or complete a university approved course that satisfies the requirement. BUS 225 Legal Environment of Business, BUS 230A Financial Accounting, and BUS 230B Managerial Accounting make up the remainder of the Pre-Business core requirements.  The process is multi-faceted in order to best balance the demands of students with the capacities of an impacted department.

According to the Department of Administration’s mission statement, the school “offers high quality, relevant education in business to aspiring and practicing professionals, managers, and entrepreneurs in the private and public sector” with concentrations in accounting, finance, financial management, management, marketing, wine business strategies, and special concentrations such as consulting and entrepreneurship. This dedication to providing world-class education has proven very popular with Sonoma State students, and the department is heavily impacted due to high demand.  

The California State University system considers a major or program impacted if more applications are received than open spots exist for applicants.  Cal State is currently severely impacted, and the entire campus’ of Fullerton, Long Beach, Los Angeles, San Jose, and San Luis Obispo are affected for every program offered.  

Sonoma State students are all too aware of the restrictions associated with impaction and the lack of available classes.  According to the Cal State website, Sonoma State currently suffers from impacted programs in the fields of Biological Sciences, Business, Communication, Environmental Studies/Sciences, Kinesiology/Physical Education, Nursing, Psychology, and Sociology.

For students aiming to graduate in four years with degrees in these programs, it is a race to quickly enroll in required classes, as there are not enough seats available to fill demand.  Communication Department Chair and well-respected advisor Ed Beebout gave sound advice when he told incoming transfer students to treat registration enrollment appointments like purchasing concert tickets online, telling them, “be ready to check out  as soon as the window opens,” and this approach proved highly successful for combatting the Communication Department’s impacted status.  

Students looking for more information about upcoming deadlines, Pre-Business requirements, or change of status help can visit the School of Business and Economics’ website at sbe.sonoma.edu, or contact Tracy Navas, [email protected], the local expert and Academic Advisor for Pre-Business.