Access to abortion medication on UC and CSU campuses will be mandated in 2023

Signed by Governor Gavin Newsom on October 11, the College Student Right to Access Act (SB 24) will require 34 university student health centers to provide abortion medication to students at little to no cost. It will be in the form of RU-486, also known as mifepristone (or its brand name Mifeprex). 

“As other states and the federal government go backward, restricting reproductive freedom, in California we are moving forward, expanding access and reaffirming a woman’s right [to] choose,” Governor Newsom said in a statement. “We’re removing barriers to reproductive health – increasing access on college campuses and using technology to modernize how patients interact with providers.”

SB 24 states that at least $10,290,000 in private funding must be raised by January 1, 2020, to implement the legislation. Senator Connie Leyva (D-Chino), the author of the bill, told POLITICO that the funds have been secured in an account to be managed by the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls.

Former Governor Jerry Brown vetoed the legislation late 2018, citing that the measure was “not necessary” as “the services required by this bill are widely available off-campus.” 

In contrast to the bill’s text explaining that “Abortion by medication techniques is extremely safe, highly effective, and cost-effective,” it has proven to be controversial and rejected by pro-life advocates.

Many have expressed concerns about the risks involved and the potential lack of supervision after the administration of the pills. The Food and Drug Administration reported that while “adverse events cannot with certainty be… attributed to mifepristone,” from September 2000 to December 2018, 24 deaths occurred: two due to ectopic pregnancy and several suffering from fatal cases of sepsis. 

While groups argue that campus health clinics are not equipped to handle the various complications the drug may induce, in reality, there is under a 1% chance of requiring hospitalization and a mortality rate of 0.4/100,000 as summarized in a 2-year database review of medical abortion at Planned Parenthood centers.

As Planned Parenthood explains, the first pill administered is mifepristone, which restricts the progesterone hormone. The second pill, misoprostol, is taken anytime after (up to 48 hours later at the most) and induces cramping and bleeding to clear out the uterus. The process is 94-98% effective for those eight weeks pregnant or less, and about 91-93% effective at 9-10 weeks. Over 70 days since the first day of an individual’s last period is too late for a medication abortion.

According to a 2018 study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, out of a projected 1,038 UC and CSU student abortions per month, an estimated 322-519 will be medication abortion. Between transportation to an off-campus facility, appointment availability, and the cost of care, it was concluded that students are in danger of missing class, likely unable to afford the average $604 process, and could exceed the 10-week gestational limit.

“California continues to lead the nation in protecting every individual’s right to choose,” Senator Leyva said in a press release from Governor Newsom’s office. “By ensuring that abortion care is available on campus, college students will not have to choose between delaying important medical care or needing to travel long distances or even missing classes or work.”

By 2023, according to the bill, all 34 UC and CSU health centers will be equipped to offer medication abortions either on site, through telehealth services, or through “a contracted external agency” so that vulnerable young people will no longer be forced to face Planned Parenthood protestors or feel burdened both financially and academically.