Graton tribe to donate 2.85 million to Sonoma State nature preserve

The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria are donating $2.85 million to Sonoma State University, aiding in the restoration of the university’s Fairfield Osborn Preserve. The Fairfield Osborn Preserve, soon to be renamed the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria Learning Center, will provide environmental and educational learning experiences for all. In addition, the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria will use this land as an opportunity to educate the general public about the Southern Pomo and Coast Miwok tribes and their deep-rooted presence in Sonoma County. 

Greg Sarris, Graton Rancheria Tribal Chairman and Sonoma State professor, oversees all tribal negotiations and business. Sarris is famously known for co-authoring the Graton Rancheria Restoration Act that officially, federally, granted the tribe status in 2000. Since then, Greg Sarris has to lead the tribe on multiple economic endeavors, specifically those that are focused on environmental restoration and education. 

In a recent interview with California News Wire, Greg Sarris spoke on behalf of the donation stating, “One of our main goals is to maximize outdoor learning spaces and strengthen the sense of the surrounding environment, which includes the tribal history and connection with the land.”

The preserve is currently home to eight different plant communities, freshwater marsh habitats, multiple watersheds, and vast animal diversity. It is also home to man-made and natural ponds that serve as critical environments for frog species. This land serves as an importance to the community due to its unique features such as year-round water, attracting many animals. The Fairfield Osborn Preserve also is known for its ability to home non-native and endangered species, including certain species of shrimp and frogs.

As history suggests, the Pomo and Miwok tribes formerly inhabited the preserve, using it for gathering and hunting. The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria plan to continue to help Sonoma State University conserve the land. 

“These improvements will enable the growth of programs that enhance connections to nature and encourage the discovery of new solutions for challenges facing the Earth,” said Sonoma State University President Judy Sakaki to the California News Wire, “This is a tremendous gift to the university, and we applaud Dr. Greg Sarris, Tribal Chair, and the Tribal Council for their generosity and stewardship of the land.”

As discussed by President Judy Sakaki, the preserve itself focuses on research and solutions for current challenges facing the Earth. One of these challenges is Sudden Oak Death, a tree disease found in 1995. Fairfield Osborn Preserve is commonly known for its extensive research on the tree disease and will continue on with that project along with many others. 

The preserve is open to students and organizations for educational and research purposes only. However, the general public is allowed visitation to the land with a guided tour. 

Being a professor at Sonoma State University and a member of the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, Greg Sarris has made it a priority to educate the general public on environmental issues, especially those on campus. The donation to restore Sonoma State’s Fairfield Osborn Reserve is giving students the opportunity to conduct further research on ongoing environmental issues and create solutions for them. The Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria have already contributed $833,500 towards the total $2.84 million donations, the rest is set to be paid by the end of 2020.