Graduate Early with Winter Intersession Registration

Graduating in the shortest amount of time possible is a goal for many Sonoma State University students, but enrollment rates indicate that many do not know that they can save time and graduate early by registering for winter intersession courses. Registration began Oct. 11, and classes are held Jan. 2-15, 2020.

According to their website, “The School of Extended and International Education (SEIE) is committed to helping Sonoma State students achieve their educational goals. (They) work hard to provide students with more academic opportunities, to shorten their time to graduation, and to improve the overall graduation rate at SSU.”

Winter Intersession is open to all prospective students, and admission to the university is not required to attend. High school students, college students from any university, and all adults from the local community and beyond are invited to register.

Those wishing to catch up or get ahead on their graduation plan can finish a course in two weeks instead of the 16 in a traditional semester. A variety of classes satisfy both lower and upper-division general education requirements, and several options for specific majors. Sonoma State students will receive units in residence for all courses offered in summer and winter intersessions.

Many students on campus have never taken a winter course, but for those that have, the amount of time saved was the most significant advantage. A student majoring in business administration said, “I would not be able to graduate on time if the summer and winter intersessions did not exist. It can be stressful trying to cram the course into a short amount of time, but it is really satisfying when the session is over.” 

Those wishing to catch up or get ahead on their graduation plan can finish a course in two weeks instead of the 15 in a traditional semester. A variety of courses are offered that satisfy general education requirements, and several for specific majors. Subjects include business, communication studies, history, math, philosophy, psychology, sociology, women’s and gender studies and more.

Students across the CSU system struggle to sign up for classes because current budget allocations do not supply enough professors or courses to fill the demand. This causes anxiety for students racing to register before seats are filled and leaves the unfortunate students that did not make the list waiting for another semester. 

These problems were acknowledged in a 2016 article in the Press-Telegram, “the concept of a “four-year university,” at least at Cal State University campuses, has long been something of a polite fiction for many students. The reality is, a majority of students still need at least six years of schooling to attain an undergraduate degree, and it’s something educators across the CSU system are being pressured to change.”

Unit limits of 18 hours per semester restrict some students from achieving their educational goals in their desired timeframe, and senior Demarcus L. said, “taking a business class benefited me by getting me a class that I wouldn’t be able to get because of unit caps.”

Tuition is $320 per unit hour, and payment is due at registration. Scholarships are available to students on track to graduate by Dec. 2020. The university is also offering need-based scholarships of $500. All scholarship applications are due Dec. 2.

MySSU is an easy way to view course offerings and register online, students can register in person at the SEIE office in Stevenson 1012, or by calling 707-664-2394.

The SEIE is looking to expand its offerings and is seeking educators to lead new Summer and Winter Intersession courses. Those interested in proposing or teaching a new course can contact Julie Shell at [email protected]