Sonoma State relocates culinary services in midst of power outage

On Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2019, the Kincade fire sparked in northern Sonoma County at around 9:30 p.m.  Weather reports warned that a gusty windstorm was expected to be as strong as the 2017 historic wind events that caused the Sonoma and Napa County fires, pushing Sonoma State University’s culinary services to plan accordingly. 

In preparation for the wind event, the Pacific Gas and Electric company planned for multiple rounds of Public Safety power shut-offs throughout the entire Bay Area, beginning on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019.  The shut-off was expected to cause closures to North Bay schools, including Sonoma State University.

Nancy Keller, Sonoma State’s director of Culinary Services, was informed on Friday, Oct. 25 that preparations for the second power outage would begin. 

“As we closed operations on Friday, we pulled all food out of the Kitchens, Toast, Sip, Lobos, Overlook, and Stomping Grounds, so that they could be moved to our base location’s freezers and refrigerators, which are supported by the generators. We then created menus from the food that was on-site to reduce the waste of food.” 

Sonoma State’s staff, faculty, and students were prompted via email of campus closure on Friday, Oct. 25, warning that “effective Saturday, Oct. 26, all classes, activities, and events are canceled through at least Monday, Oct. 28.  The residence halls will remain open and dining services will be provided for residents who have meal plans.” 

Culinary services were preparing for the power to go out between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on that Saturday, prompting staff to serve brunch on the west side of the building to maximize light. Although the power ending up not going down, pumps for reclaimed water in Santa Rosa went 

down, causing culinary service a change of plans.

“EOC contacted us that after dinner service on Saturday evening that we would be moving food service for displaced students at the Marina Crossing Apartments. We were expecting 70 students on Sunday morning; serving them pastries,  breakfast sandwiches, hot oatmeal, cold cereals, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, and orange juice,” said Keller. 

The Marina Crossing Apartment complex is located in Petaluma, south of Sonoma State University and the Kincade Fire. The complex was built and opened for housing Sonoma State’s faculty earlier in 2019. 

“Students were moved into a lovely facility that had two big TVs, so they could see what was happening and some were even watching football too. There was a fire pit, giant Jenga, and Mo Philips came over with games and crafts as well.”

At the time, it was uncertain as too when the power would be restored on campus. On Oct. 31, 2019, an update was sent out stating that Sonoma State’s classes, library, and regular business operations were set to resume on Monday, Nov. 4, as the Kincade fire was more than 60% contained. 

Nancy Keller and Culinary Services staff than realized that there were only 34 students total staying on campus while it was closed until Monday, Nov. 4. They proceeded by cooking food to order for students in the food truck, serving cheeseburgers, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, french toast, onion rings, chili, and fresh-baked cornbread.

“Our staff had fun coming up with creative menus and testing the capabilities of Order Up, it was great.”