Gas leak in Rohnert Park

A gas leak Monday in Rohnert Park led to a shelter, which has since been fixed. The Rohnert Park Department of Safety sent out a Nixle alert stating that there was a gas leak on Executive Avenue. Everyone that was on and near Executive Avenue–a commercial area just east of U.S. Highway 101 off of State Farm Drive was advised to shelter in place. A spokeswoman for PG&E had said the flow of gas was reported at 11:56 a.m. on Monday and involved a third party contractor not associated with PG&E who was digging and struck a gas line. 

This came to be a big shock to many students because of the recent fires we have had in our community, so it is just another disaster that happened very abruptly and caught many people by surprise. Many of us have been on edge, especially with the recent fire we just had, and it has us questioning what else could happen that is unexpected and makes us question our safety. Gas leaks can be hazardous because natural gas is flammable, which means if there is a flame or even a spark in the area of a leak, it could cause a fire or explosion. A natural gas leak can happen if a gas pipe is damaged or fitting is loose. 

“I was not near the gas leak, but I had heard about it from another student and was concerned for a little while, especially with the disaster we had just gone through in our community. It really makes you wonder what else could happen at any moment and what other disasters can take place,” says Sonoma State student Juan Trejo. When asking about this circumstance since the fires had also happened and in regards to feeling safe living in Sonoma County, SRJC student Kiana Olson says, “I heard about the gas leak in Rohnert Park and was glad they got it under control. It’s no surprise that many people were concerned with everything that has been going on lately. It definitely makes me a little nervous and anxious to witness such terrible things living here. I won’t lie and say the thought has not crossed my mind to possibly move someday, it has me on edge and makes me question my safety.” Sonoma State Student Julissa Munoz also stated, “I feel like I have definitely been more cautious lately with everything that has been going on. I was not directly affected by the fires but it still makes me more aware that any type of disaster could happen at any moment in our town. I’m glad they got it under control quickly and made everyone aware of it really fast before other damage could have been done.” 

We have to be cautious and aware in case situations like these happen again because it can be perilous. Luckily there was a Nixle alert in place for people around the area to shelter until it was safe. It is scary because in a scenario like that another fire could have happened or an explosion which would have been very destructive. It is also imperative to have Nixle alerts accessible on devices so that people are aware of situations like these.