Relief coming to undocumented immigrants

exc-5e9e1925af2fdd272e0c01a9
    exc-5e9e1925af2fdd272e0c01a9

California is the first state in the nation to launch a $125 million grant for undocumented immigrants during the coronavirus. Governor Gavin Newsom announced the $125 million relief effort on April 15. The proposal is to offer $500 cash grants to individuals who live here illegally, and the measure provides up to $1,000 for families.

Gov. Newsom said, “California is the most diverse state in the nation. Our diversity makes us stronger and more resilient. Every Californian, including our undocumented neighbors and friends, should know that California is here to support them during this crisis. We are all in this together.” Newsom stated that undocumented workers make up 10% of the California workforce, and they are overrepresented in providing essential services such as healthcare, food, and construction.

According to the Pew Research Center, there are 2.5 million immigrants living in California illegally. Approximately 150,000 immigrants will be able to receive cash from this new fund. The fund only covers payments to a small portion of immigrants, and the governor acknowledged the shortcoming.

Gov. Newsom said, “I’m not here to suggest that $125 million is enough, but I am here to suggest that it’s a good start and I am very proud that it is starting here in the state of California.” This grant is partly funded by a non-profit organization, Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees, a foundation that focuses on immigration issues.

This relief effort came about due to the fact that undocumented immigrants are ineligible for unemployment benefits and disaster relief under the CARES Act due to their immigration status. Americans across the nation began receiving their $1,200 stimulus check from the federal government this month. Others on unemployment benefits are receiving an additional $600 a week from the government for the time they are ordered to stay home due to the outbreak.

The $125 million grant will also include $75 million in taxpayer funds and $50 million in contributions to help undocumented workers affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Undocumented immigrants can start applying for the new fund starting next month. The additional $50 million will be coming from private donors which could benefit another 100,000 people. However, this money may have limitations in that the grants could be more or less than $500 depending on the cost of living where the person lives.

So far, only $6 million has been raised from the contributors, including Emerson Collective, Blue Shield of California Foundation, the California Endowment, the James Irvine Foundation, and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

In addition to the new fund, the state will be expanding the staffing in the Employment Development Department to speed up the pace of unemployment check processing for all Californians who have lost their jobs due to the outbreak.

The state will add a new call center which will open on April 20. The call center will be open seven days a week for 12 hours a day starting at 8 a.m.

Governor Newsom’s announcement of the grant received negative views by conservatives and those who argue against illegal immigration. This backlash went as far as to create the #recallnewsom hashtag on twitter.

Some people such as Senate Republican Leader Shannon Grove think the money would be better off used on food banks, online education, and local governments. According to the DailyMail, Grove said, “‘Instead of meeting these urgent needs, Governor Newsom has chosen to irresponsibly pursue a left-wing path and unilaterally secured $125 million for undocumented immigrants.”

This isn’t the first time that the state of California has taken a giant leap in benefiting undocumented immigrants. Just last year, California was the first state to provide taxpayer-funded health benefits to low-income adults who were living here illegally. Gov. Newsom even proposed expanding those same benefits to seniors this year. T

o follow up on those health benefits, the governor has mandated the state’s medical assistance program Medi-Cal cover care related to COVID-19 as an emergency service regardless of a patient’s health coverage or immigration status.