States consider options, some choose to relax restrictions

exc-5ea78ab79bf7a13787f41bea
    exc-5ea78ab79bf7a13787f41bea

Sonoma County has been in lockdown since the middle of March, and it’s been ordered for this to stay in place until May 3, but it’s very possible for the order to be longer than that. Although California is planning to stay indoors for as long as possible, there are some states that are already thinking of reopening again.

Though recently California had one of its highest records for coronavirus deaths, Sonoma County seems to be doing a good job at staying safe and healthy. Compared to Los Angeles County with about 730 deaths, Sonoma County is showing that they are capable of practicing sanitation and social distancing, as required.

Many states are staying together and listening to what is best for the people with the help of science and advice from health professionals, rather than using political reasons to reopen the states; other state leaders are not.

Florida’s Governor Ron DeSantis recently supported the decisions of local Florida leaders to reopen some of their beaches, like Jacksonville, and that decision has angered many people around the country, creating masses of controversial conversations.

The governor had much to say in an interview with a Jacksonville news anchor, and said, “As I said in my announcement last week, the limited beaches reopening can be a first step and pathway back to normal, but we must be mindful of the risks and respect the limitations, not only for our safety but for the safety of our neighbors as well.”

The governor claims that due to the curve flattening, it was an opportunity for people to have more open space. The opening of beaches in Florida has caused a lot of frustration due to the fact that many think that we are not ready to go back to normality.

Another state that is back for business is Georgia. As of April 24, Georgia is allowing barbers, hair and nail salons, fitness centers, estheticians, massage therapists, bowling alleys, and gyms to resume business. Also opening are restaurants and theatres on April 27. Although businesses are allowed to reopen, everything is opening with certain rules and restrictions.

Georgia’s governor, Brian Kemp recently tweeted the day that the reopen was declared, “To Georgia’s law enforcement community, thank you for your hard work today educating the public, checking businesses for compliance with social distancing and sanitation rules, and ensuring the well-being of Georgians. I appreciate your support in our fight against #COVID19!”

Some Americans are arguing that the response is not the correct way to fight a virus or reopen a state. Although certain states have the idea that reopening is better for the county and its people, California is staying put and maintaining its precautions and will remain closed for as long as possible. California is more focused on the consequences of the “second wave” of COVID-19 that scientists predict will occur in the winter of 2020.

Governor Newsom recently announced the six marks that California needs to achieve before shelter-in-place orders are removed, and his two-week timeline to re-evaluate the state’s condition ends April 28. Californians anxiously await updates and information.