Sonoma County receives revised health guidelines

exc-5f593d350eb0fa39cebd1956
    exc-5f593d350eb0fa39cebd1956

SR memorial hospital

As the year of COVID-19 marches on, new regulations are being pushed out statewide, and businesses are receiving new guidelines for pandemic operations. In an announcement by the Office of The County Administrator for Sonoma, several types of businesses will be allowed to reopen safely this week with the implementation of new orders by Governor Gavin Newsom. While this does contradict previous health orders maintained by Sonoma County, this change has been acknowledged and approved by Dr. Sundari Mase, Sonoma County Public Health Officer.

Sonoma County’s cases have been relatively low, sitting at sixth highest of 10 total counties. While the county’s 6,142 cases might seem low when placed up against Santa Clara county’s 17,993 cases, the risk assessment system is based on proportional number of cases overall and per day. Sonoma County is reaching an average of 14 new cases per 100,000, not including any cases developed in prisons. The qualifying number of average cases to be in the “widespread” category is 7, leaving Sonoma County still at double the rate. 

As a county rises in tiers, it’s given reduced restrictions and more access to recreational activities. The new risk system is a four tiered structure, which ranges from “widespread” to “minimal.” A county’s placement is flexible, but is determined by both the number of cases per 100,000 people, and by the percentage of people testing positive within that county. However, it must be improving in both areas, and Sonoma county is not currently in a state where it can advance. The county rests in the “widespread” category.

As for what guidelines have been introduced for barbershops and hair salons, the California Health department released an industry guide on all businesses and how to conduct safe work within them. Physical distancing is required as much as feasibly possible, and both the customers and employees must wear appropriate masks at all times. These guidelines, along with others such as regular sanitization and employee screening, are part of an 11 page guideline put out by the health office for businesses to observe.

The businesses being allowed to reopen with this change include barbershops, salons, and malls, with other business reopenings being contingent on the new identification of risk system introduced along with the Governor’s changes.

“We feel comfortable in opening up this sector of our economy as the data shows we’ve had only a handful of cases from indoor salons,” says Mase in a press release on August 30th.

Any business that does not observe these regulations will be subject to steep penalties issued by the county. Due to an ordinance passed by the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, any businesses found to be in violation of these requirements face fines anywhere between $1,000 to $10,000, depending on the severity and frequency of the violation. 

While restrictions are being lifted on these businesses, residents are cautioned not to get swept up in the idea that the county is out of the woods yet. Sonoma County remains in the “widespread” category, and therefore still has a great deal of restrictions on businesses. Dr. Sundari reminds the community, “We still have a ways to go before we will be able to move to the next tier and allow more activities to reopen under the state’s blueprint.” 

Until the county manages to pull itself out of the widespread tier, residents are encouraged to remain vigilant and keep themselves safe to eventually reduce the risk for everyone.