UndocuFund provides relief for undocumented immigrants

exc-5f593dc974e300076efc7a4a
    exc-5f593dc974e300076efc7a4a

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 1.18.25 PM.png

In the past couple of weeks, the Latino and Hispanic community of Sonoma County is continuing to suffer at the hands of fires, heatwaves, and the COVID-19 pandemic. The Hispanic and Latino community in Sonoma County make up 27% of the population. Dr. Sundari Mase, county Health officer stated, “They are now statistically about nine times more likely than their white neighbors to become infected by the coronavirus.”

446 individuals of the community tested positive last Thursday, increasing the infection rate. Sonoma County continues to face growing local transmission rates of the virus, and is rated among the highest in the state.  

Dr. Mase told the county Board Supervisors that, “We know where the transmission is happening and we’re reaching out. Even though transmission is happening, and it’s not a good thing, we know exactly who to test and where the secondary cases are.” 

In the past couple of weeks, the Latino and Hispanic community of Sonoma County has continued to suffer at the hands of the fires, heatwave, and the pandemic. Mase explains, “Some of those infected in the community live, work, and commute together, resulting in outbreaks that overlap households and worksites.” 

With these ramping rates taking over the Latino and Hispanic communities, Mase suggested implementing “Necessary pullbacks on specific businesses, commercial sectors, geographical areas or public activity where transmission seems to be occurring, rather than taking a “blanket” approach.” This type of pullback affects the livelihood of so many individuals in the community, specifically the Latino and Hispanic communities.

The Undocufund for Disaster Relief in Sonoma County was founded in October 2017, in acknowledgment to the Tubbs wildfire. It was launched by a group of immigrant service providers and supporters to assist undocumented victims of the Northern California fires. It ceased operation on December 31, 2018, and was reopened on October 26, 2019, because of the Kincade Fire. The fund was once again reactivated in March of 2020 to support undocumented families and individuals in Sonoma County affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

They provide donated money and resources to Sonoma County’s Latino and Hispanic communities; as well as resources for DACA and undocumented immigrants to find housing, healthcare, domestic workers’ rights, and legal support in English and Spanish. “During the last 2.8 years, individuals have contributed over $10 million and aided over 6,000 families to help with fire and COVID-19 related losses,” according to the Undocufund website. A woman named Ingrid heard about Undocufund on Facebook and attended the free clinic that Santa Rosa Junior College provided for undocumented immigrants to receive donated food and clothing. At the clinic, Ingrid was able to learn more about the resources that Undocufund provided and was able to find relief. “My husband and my father both lost work in the weeks immediately following the fires and I’m worried about making rent and paying the bills. I am hopeful that Undocufund will provide a little relief.” 

Sonoma County’s Undocufund committee is working tirelessly, bringing needed relief financially and emotionally to the Hispanic and Latino community. They are putting in effort to make sure that undocumented individuals know their community cares and supports them. The Latino and Hispanic community should know that Sonoma County would not be the place it is without them and their dedicated work. 

Dr. Mase and other health officials for the county are working towards containing the spread of COVID-19 within the Latino and Hispanic community, and Undocufund provides a safe-haven for undocumented immigrants to recieve risk-free assistance.