Sonoma State searching for faculty to fill anti-racist curriculum role

exc-5f593e6c4018ec74663fab40
    exc-5f593e6c4018ec74663fab40

anti-racist curriculum

On September 1, SSU announced to its faculty that they would soon hire current staff members for a Faculty Fellow for Anti-Racist Curriculum Design position. The new position is a part of a collaborative effort between six CSU campuses to begin redesigning current classroom curriculum to include anti-racist themes and expose students to issues of race they may not have applied to a given subject before.

The decision to create a position dedicated to exposing students to racial injustice could not have come at a better time. In light of the current state of unrest throughout the country, students who have anti-racist curriculum embedded in their courses will come out with a unique understanding and a new drive to help promote change. Eyler states, “Given the glacial pace at which racial justice has been achieved in our society, we want SSU graduates to access a robust and relevant curriculum. [This] funding has provided Sonoma state with an opportunity to support real change for racial justice.” 

The goal of this initiative, according to the university’s Public Information Officer Robert Eyler, is to, “Ensure our campus is properly valuing the contributions and perspectives of a diverse population of scholars. This position will create programs to secure success for all of our students, not only those primed to achieve it.” Six CSU campuses (Chico, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Pomona, San Diego, and Sonoma) have come together and created the Faculty-Led Curricular Design for Student Achievement effort, an initiative that is funded by the CSU Chancellor’s office, the Teagle Foundation, and the College Futures Foundation. The position was made possible thanks to a grant, as well as professional development funds. 

When asked what the position would entail, Eyler states, “The position will allow a current faculty member with expertise in anti-racist curricular design to help lead campuswide movement toward a racially just curriculum.” He explains that the Fellow will consult with a variety of different programs throughout the university and will work towards providing workshops, resources, and honest conversations regarding social justice issues in the context of higher education.

Change is coming, and SSU students won’t have to wait long to see it. The description for the position explains that, “Consultancy will begin on a limited basis in Fall 2020. The majority of the work will take place in the Spring 2021 semester with the possibility of extension through Fall 2021.” This means that whoever fills this position will begin brainstorming and working with other faculty members on their curriculum as soon as they are hired. 

When asked what she thinks about the prospect of this new fellow, Associated Students’ Senator for Diversity Morgan Beatty says, “From my experience as a student at Sonoma State, I believe that they should have anti-racism material implemented in the curriculum. This sounds like really exciting news and I think it’s an amazing idea.” She also added that she would like to see the person in this position report to the AVP of Diversity and Strategic Initiatives, Jerlena Griffin-Desta, because she specializes in diversity, equality, and inclusion in the campus community.

By creating this position, Sonoma State is taking a huge step towards inclusivity and justice for all of its students. Through acknowledging the existence of racial injustice in our society, SSU is attempting to provide students in marginalized communities a safe environment.