California passes law to help ex-inmates find careers in firefighting

exc-5f6ba406f98ae83091e9f94e
    exc-5f6ba406f98ae83091e9f94e

sonoma firetrucks

Governor Newsom passed a bill on Sept. 11 that will help alleviate the struggles ex-inmates face when it comes time to find a job after their release. Prisoners who have helped battle fires on the frontlines will have their records expunged once their sentence has been served. The hope is that this new law will make it easier for ex-inmates to find a job as a firefighter after prison.

Governor Newsom said on Twitter, “CA’s inmate firefighter program is decades-old and has long needed reform.” He continued “Inmates who have stood on the frontlines, battling historic fires should not be denied the right to later become a professional firefighter.”

Governor Newsom signed California Bill AB 2147 at the site of the North Complex Fire near Lake Oroville, surrounded by smoke and leftover charred trees. Even though the terrain was smokey, the message was clear. It was apparent from his surroundings that passing this bill was urgent. California has been facing direct impacts of climate change for years now.

There was a shortage of inmates available this fire season because of COVID-19. Approximately 11,000 prisoners, who were nonviolent offenders and had less than a year to serve, are in the process of being released early to avoid mass spreading of the virus within California prisons. This left firefighters feeling even more short handed as they found themselves up against several of the biggest California wildfires in history, all at once.

“This legislation rights a historic wrong and recognizes the sacrifice of thousands of incarcerated people who have helped battle wildfires in our state, and I would like to thank the Legislature for passing this bill,” said Governor Newsom.

Mark Heine, Fire Chief of the Sonoma County Fire District offered his viewpoint on the matter.

He explains that CalFire is an agency that currently utilizes inmate firefighters. He emphasizes that inmate firefighting crews are a valuable resource and integral part of the mission when it comes to the fight against wildfires. He continues by saying, “The bill is a step in the right direction, as it applies to providing skilled employment for inmates once they are released from prison.”

Heine explains that hiring new firefighters can be an extensive process for agencies. Entry level qualification requirements vary depending on each agency. For example, the Sonoma County Fire District requires applicants to have graduated from a firefighting academy, such as the one offered through the Santa Rosa Junior College. They must also be licensed in California as a paramedic. Then, they are expected to pass a background check, a physical exam, and a psychiatric exam. “Anyone who successfully completes these steps is eligible for employment by us,” says Heine.

Under normal conditions, there are many obstacles future firefighters must overcome in order to become a firefighter. For those who were once inmates, their criminal record leaves a permanent stain on their reputation, making possible career moves even more unattainable. This bill can change that. It can change the lives of past inmates for the better, and it can quite possibly save the lives and homes of thousands.