Sonoma County ranks fifth in the state for COVID-19 transmission rates

exc-5f86326b5253a74bf87250fe
    exc-5f86326b5253a74bf87250fe

girl on campus wearing mask 2

COVID-19 continues to spread throughout the U.S. almost a year after its original appearance in the country. Locally, the amount of Coronavirus cases rises every day, as the transmission rate grows. Out of the 58 counties in California, Sonoma County is among the most concerning. “Behind only Shasta, Lassen, Inyo and Amador counties,” Sonoma County ranks fifth in the state for COVID-19 transmission rates, according to The Press Democrat.

On Oct. 8, there were 1,621 active COVID-19 cases in Sonoma County, increasing by 72 cases in just 24 hours. While the county has had almost 6,500 recovered cases since the beginning of the pandemic in the U.S., active cases make up a little less than 1% of the population, which is around 2,000 cases, according to SoCo Emergency. The county has performed about 200,000 tests. 

As for Sonoma State University, COVID-19 cases have been both confirmed and continuously suspected on campus.

According to an email from Missy Brunetta, Director for Emergency Services and Associate Risk Manager, the first positive COVID-19 case was confirmed on Sept. 17. The case caused the Schultz Information center to temporarily close.

Sonoma State Star released an article on Sept. 21 that discussed an email correspondence with the Interim Public Relations Officer Robert Eyler. He gave notice that “So far, one student and two employees who have been on campus have tested positive since the Fall Semester began.” 

On Oct. 5, another email alerted the Seawolf community that there is a more recent suspected case of COVID-19 on campus, causing Darwin Hall to temporarily close. 

Throughout the entire Bay Area, Sonoma County remains the least likely to fully reopen due to the transmission rate. This causes an increased risk for residents, as the potential for a stronger second wave of cases becomes more probable. However, the cause of the high transmission rate isn’t totally clear. A number of factors, including Labor Day celebrations, could be at fault.

“It could also be from our fires and evacuations,” said Dr. Sundari Mase, the county’s health officer. Evacuation centers, while necessary during fire season, create a massive risk for new infections in the county. 

Though there are many possible contributors to the continuous outbreaks, there are some cases that seem almost inevitable following establishment reopenings. In late September, there were outbreaks in 13 care centers and schools across Sonoma County. An outbreak of this sort is guaranteed to push-back the county’s re-opening, which has proved to be stressful for residents.

“Most of the children who were infected were 6 years old and younger. Ten members of school staff and 27 family members were also infected,” according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Mase continues to stress the importance of child care, especially as people will gradually be going back to their jobs, despite the risk of the care centers infecting those very families. 

However, Mase has been clear in encouraging social distancing in education for the time being, though many facilities have requested to reopen. Health officials must first clear a school’s plan for safely reopening before approving a request. 

The hesitation to reopen schools throughout the nation has been ongoing since the start of the pandemic. While certain schools in some states have decided to fully reopen for students and faculty, there is concern around the idea. The outbreak among schools in Sonoma County gives a major hand in the decision to hold back for the time being.

“We have COVID-19 cases in every sector, so it’s not at all surprising that we have these cases in day care and early learning centers. COVID-19 is not selective that way. I don’t think it’s surprising, but I do think it’s something that gives us a little pause when we think about reopening schools,” said Mase.

girl on campus wearing mask

To stay up-to-date with COVID-19 cases in Sonoma County, visit socoemergency.org/emergency/novel-coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/.