Amy Coney Barrett Supreme Court nomination hearing updates

exc-5f8f6b3a64c45d17ff27d9b5
    exc-5f8f6b3a64c45d17ff27d9b5

Amy coney Barrett support posters

Amidst everything that is currently unfolding in the United States, American’s have also been keeping a close eye on the confirmation hearing for President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Amy Coney Barrett. 

Many have critiqued Barrett’s answers during the hearing, on account of her unwillingness to discuss many of the points of conversation brought up by senators. Some of the most notable dodged topics were her stance on climate change, as well as her position on the family separations being conducted by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the borders. 

Barrett also refused to make any conclusive statements on the speculation that she would ultimately try to overturn Roe v. Wade, should her nomination lead to a seat on the Supreme Court. 

In addition to the overall hearing, tension between the Democratic Senators and the Republican Senators was palpable. With the Republican majority disregarding the committee rules, calling for at least two of the minority–in this case the Democratic Senators–to be present, in order to continue conducting business. 

In an article for the New York Times, Democratic Senator of Vermont Patrick J. Leahy said, “The fact that we had a nominee before Justice Ginsburg was even buried in order to jam this nomination through before the election…That is a mark on the United States Senate, it will be a mark on a process of callous political power grab.” 

Republicans maintained their position, and cited their majority to be enough to move the nomination forward. 

Senators at the hearing speculated that the reason behind such a fast paced nomination is so that the Supreme Court can be tipped in President Trump’s favor, should the outcome of the election be taken to court. 

When asked by Senator Cory Booker if presidents should commit to a peaceful transition of power, Barrett replied, “As a judge, I wanna stay out of it, and I don’t wanna express a view.” Barrett also declined to state a position on whether or not Trump had it within his power to pardon himself. Only asserting, “This would be a constitutional question,” and that she will stick with her “…obligation not to give previews or forecasts on how I would resolve the case.”

While the Democratic party has continuously voiced concerns against Barrett’s nomination, the Republican party has spoken nothing but uplifting words and praise for Barrett’s potential ability on the Supreme Court. 

Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham said of the nominee, “This is the first time in American history that we’ve nominated a woman who is unashamedly pro-life and embraces her faith without apology; and she is going to the court. A seat at the table is waiting on [her].” 

Despite heavy opposition from the Democratic party, voting on Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination will begin Oct. 22.