News in brief: Oct. 13 – Oct. 16

exc-5f8f6d104949d5779c417b0d
    exc-5f8f6d104949d5779c417b0d

Tuesday 10/13: 

• Over 30 people have been killed by wildfires in California. There are hundreds of people missing and a total of 190,000 acres have burned. 

• Trump halts CSR payments to health insurers, calling them unlawful. CSR payments are worth billions and they reimburse insurance companies for giving low-income customers legally mandated health costs. Chuck Shcumer calls it a spiteful act and vast sabotage.

• Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett held up a blank notepad when Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) asked her to show the public the notes she’s been using to answer questions during day two of the confirmation hearings. This led to praise from Conservatives, claiming that it was “impressive” that she didn’t need notes. Democrats criticized her for avoiding answering many questions on important issues. 

• The California Republican Party has admitted responsibility for placing more than 50 deceptively labeled “official” drop boxes for mail-in ballots in Los Angeles, Fresno and Orange Counties–an action that state officials said was illegal and could lead to election fraud. The Republican party says it will continue the practice.

• The Supreme Court allows the Trump administration to halt the 2020 Census count ahead of schedule.

Wednesday 10/14: 

• Trump holds a packed rally in Des Moines, Iowa. 10,000 people attended. Biden leads nation-wide and in most swing states. 

• More than 38 million people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 around the world, and more than 1,086,000 have died. A Dutch woman died after catching the Coronavirus for a second time, and she is the first reported reinfection death in the world.

• Mexico has identified two women who may have been subjected to non-consensual surgeries while in ICE detention. The findings are part of a larger Mexican investigation into allegations of improper medical care at a privately run ICE facility in Georgia.

• 37 states are seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases. Melania Trump reveals that Trump’s son, Barron, tested positive for Coronavirus.

• A record-breaking 15 million early votes have already been cast for president. 

• Paris imposes curfew for first time in months, due to a rapid rise in COVID-19 cases. 

Thursday 10/15:

• On the night of what was intended to be the second presidential debate, there were instead dueling town hall debates between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Trump refused to participate in a virtual debate, so instead, the debates were held concurrently on different networks, with Biden in Philadelphia being moderated by ABC’s George Stephanopolis, and Trump in Miami moderated by NBC’s Savannah Guthrie. 

• The U.S. sees highest infection rate in months and hospitalizations hit a new record in the midwest. 60,000 positive cases were reported in a single day.

• A new study shows that 8 million Americans are now in poverty amid the Coronavirus pandemic. 

• Biden & Harris both test negative for COVID-19, despite being exposed to infected persons.

Friday 10/16:

• 63,000 new Coronavirus cases were recorded. In Wisconsin, a quarter of the tests taken came back positive. 

• A terrorist attack occured in France and a history teacher was decapitated. 

• Trump claimed that the U.S. is rounding the edge of the virus, but data does not support this. 

• Biden is leading with 18 days to go. 22 million early votes have been cast. Trump trails behind Biden in almost every swing state.

• Biden’s town hall debate had higher television ratings and views than Trump’s. 14 million citizens watched Biden’s debate (which aired on one television network), while only 13 million citizens watched Trump’s debate (which aired on three different television networks).