COVID-19 relief given to Sonoma County farmers

exc-5f988bc153c6e57e313fc6a7
    exc-5f988bc153c6e57e313fc6a7

3 farmers washing lettuce

COVID-19 continues its tremendous impact upon the backbone of Sonoma County: agriculture. The one billion dollar industry is being pushed to its limits, as the county is still in the ‘purple’ tier–the most restrictive of COVID reopening. Because of COVID-19, according to Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District, up to nearly $64 million will be lost this year. 

As a result, the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District, also known as Ag + Open Space, is offering up to $1 million in COVID-19 relief funds to farmers hit the hardest. “Our agricultural community has suffered significant economic impacts due to disruptions in the food system, supply chains, processing, and storage capacity,” said Susan Gorin, Chair of the Ag Open Space Board of Directors.

The study was conducted by Dr. Robert Eyler, the president of Economic Forensics and Analytics Incorporated and professor at Sonoma State University. The study utilized projections based on Sonoma County, state-wide, and national losses in all factors of the industry, from crop to table, until the end of 2020. Eyler also analyzed recovery status, as well. Cannabis and winegrape production were not a part of the study. 

The study found that profits and loss occurred “… in retail and restaurant markets changing other parts of agricultural supply chains. Those effects then began to affect farmers and supply conditions.” Because of delays in shipments, processing centers, and storage, farmers were unable to promote their goods, which led to an excessive surplus that no buyer wanted. 

According to the study, “The economic impact of COVID-19 on total agricultural values, following the crops and livestock used to calculate annual Crop Reports by the Sonoma County Agricultural Commissioner, range between lost value of 9.7% and 19.2% based on projected risk.” A full recovery will not occur until 2023. 

However, many folks, like Executive Director of the Sonoma County Farm Bureau Tawny Tesconi, fear incorrect projections from Eyler’s numbers. Tesconi stated, “Dr. Eyler’s study simply underscores what our members have been experiencing since March. So many of our agricultural producers were already struggling and this pandemic has exposed and exacerbated the challenges our multi-generational farming and ranching families were facing.”

The Agricultural Support and Protection (ASAP) Emergency Grant Program aims to provide the necessary relief for farmers hit the hardest. The grants are to be awarded to operators “…who can commit to keeping the county’s diverse agricultural lands in production,” says Bill Keene, in an Press Democrat article. During the fund allocation, Ag + Open Space is meeting with members of the diverse farming community, in order to address future issues and find solutions around them, such as climate change, market fluctuations, and rising labor and land costs.

Despite all that is happening, some farmers are seeing success. Sonya Perrotti, from Coyote Farms, is not getting COVID relief money, yet says their business is doing really well despite the virus because more people want fresh local produce handled by less people. Doc from Darling Farms, in Penngrove, also says their business is doing well amongst all the stress.

“Supporting our local farmers and ranchers has always been a cornerstone of Ag + Open Space,” said Keene. “In addition to working with willing landowners to protect agricultural lands, as we’ve done for nearly 30 years, we are committed to looking at new and innovative ways to maintain a thriving agricultural economy as conditions change and new challenges arise.”

The grant applications close Nov. 15, and the allocations will be distributed at the end of the year. To learn more about the study itself, visit www.sonomaopenspace.org. 

doc smiling at farm