SSU alumna receives a new heart after successful transplant

51151182496_0d20032d4a_o.jpg

Alumna of Sonoma State and former women’s soccer standout, Courtney Shoda, received a heart transplant after two months of waiting and fighting for her life after she went into cardiac arrest in early March. 

Shoda was talking on her cellphone when she collapsed, then was rushed to Little Company of Mary Hospital before being transferred to Keck Hospital of USC in Los Angeles. And that was where she has remained since her collapse. 

Shoda played defender for the Seawolves during the years  of 2014 to 2016 where she excelled on the field. She also thrived in the classroom, earning CCAA All-Academic team during her freshman year of athletics. 

Shoda had experienced a rare form of cardiac arrest called commotio cordis during a soccer practice at Sonoma State, where she collapsed after taking a hit to the chest from a soccer ball. After graduating from Sonoma State in 2017, Courtney moved back to her home of Torrance and currently works as an emergency room technician at Centinela Hospital while she is waiting to hear back from nursing programs she has applied to. 

Shoda’s family has been posting weekly about Courtney’s health on Instagram and Facebook to keep loved ones updated. After many tests and available hearts that didn’t seem to work for Shoda’s body, they finally received a perfect match that worked. 

Shoda’s family posted on Instagram after Courtney received her new heart saying, “We got our GIFT from GOD. Surgery started at 4:30pm. Doctors will call us then they are done. Will be at least 6 hours.” 

Shoda surgery was successful after many hours of operation, and she is currently on the road to recovery. While it may be a long journey for Courtney, the Shoda family is thankful for everyone who has been there in support. 

“We have a long road ahead still with PT, OT and speech therapy. We will get there. I tell Courtney everyday that she has an army of love out there fighting and praying for her,” said Courney’s mom. 

The last update on Courtneys health was April 30, where the family informed everyone that doctors officially closed her chest and would be working on the process to take her off a ventilator. 

The family wrote, “Her heart transplant surgeon stopped by yesterday and said she is doing everything he wants he said to be patient. She Is looking great and is so strong.” 

COVID-19 regulations have made it very tough on the family to be able to see Shoda at the hospital. There are only two hours a day that they are able to visit her. 

A GoFundMe campaign started for Courtney has raised over $57,000 for her medical bills.People can follow the Instagram page @courtneystrong22, to get all the updates on Shoda’s well being during her road to recovery. The Sonoma State community is joyful that Shoda is on track to recovery and will continue to support her endeavors.