Students call for cheaper textbooks as costs continue to rise

Later this Fall, Sonoma State University will be moving to a new learning material program called the Seawolf Bundle. This is the university’s version of an “equitable access program”. This program lowers the overall cost of learning material through volume agreements with publishers and provides the same price for learning material even for high-cost majors. Instead of purchasing required learning software, textbooks, and digital materials individually, this program compiles everything into one package. 

Similar to how students pay for classes with one flat rate per course, the Seawolf Bundle is broken down to per credit hour. This means students will pay $18.50 per credit hour, or $277.50 per semester for 15 credit hours. This will be included into tuition costs and will result in many savings for students, yet those who do not feel the Seawolf Bundle is a value, can opt-out of the program.

Estimated by Financial aid, students spend nearly $500 per semester on textbooks and course materials alone. According to Neil Markley, Associate Vice President of Administration and Finance, this bundle is convenient, affordable, and will help prevent barriers for students who may not be able to afford high cost learning materials. This will also create an equitable model across all courses and majors. Markley said, “in my time in higher education, this is the first industry-changing shift I’ve seen to lower the price of learning material across the board.”

There are many “equitable access model” programs and hundreds of campuses around the nation are adopting something similar for learning material. Schools like UC Davis and San Diego State have had a program in effect for a few years now, and Cal Poly Pomona will be implementing a program next Fall. For years students have been asking for lower priced learning materials but the costs have continued to rise.

First year business and management major Jose Martinez said, “these books can get expensive and if it isn’t required i’ll usually skip out on it.” 

Although some rental programs, digital delivery services, and peer to peer websites have helped with price relief, the overall price of learning material from publishers continues to increase. In addition, some majors have learning material costs that are higher than others causing potential equity issues for students wanting to take high-cost courses. “Any change raises lots of questions, but I think we worked through most of them and this will really be beneficial,” Markley said.

Various campus constituencies and campus consultation vetted this program which culminated in the resolution of support by the Associated Students and Campus Fee Advisory Committee. With this new model implemented, there are no restrictions in the learning materials you select. From any publisher you need to any preferred format all learning materials are available. 

Although you will be able to opt-out, all students will automatically be enrolled into the program, and once successfully selecting your courses the university will prepare your order. The ordering process remains the same and it is important to turn in your learning material selection by the adoption deadline of May 1 to the University Store for the Fall 2023 semester. 

For further information or questions please visit seawolfbundle.sonoma.edu or join Neil Markley and Steve Higginbotham, Director of SSU’s University Store at the Seawolf Bundle Q&A Session(s) on March 10 or April 14 at 12-1:30 p.m. at CTET’s seminar room (Salazar 1061). 

“I think this is a good program, if I’m taking a lot of courses with a lot of required materials this will be beneficial” Martinez said.