Freeform’s ‘31 Days of Halloween’ will drive you batty

exc-5f73b03ccafae2529b30d734
exc-5f73b03ccafae2529b30d734

While many of us are going to be stuck inside for most of October that doesn’t mean that Halloween is canceled amid 2020’s coronavirus crisis. In 1998, the Family Channel (now known as FOX) began airing its version of 31 Days of Halloween, which is a programming block specifically designed to take viewers to a “land of enchanted and eerie movies” all month long. Since 2016, Freeform has taken over the schedule for this monthly Halloween celebration, with spooky movies such as Halloweentown, Gremlins, and The Mummy.

Halloween Movies - TheNickster (creativecommons).jpg

The programming block was created after 25 Days of Christmas proved successful for Freeform, because the 31 days was originally only 13 days long, lasting from Oct. 19 to Oct. 31. In recent years, Halloween has seen a growing popularity, both perpetuated by social media posts and increasing amounts of spooky movies and TV shows. By Freeform’s logic, they chose to use this growing popularity to their advantage and extend the 13 days to 31, which has already proven to be greatly successful in recent years. It’s no question that many families will take their movie nights no further than the couch, and will be able to enjoy the holidays in the comfort of their own home this year.

Starting on Oct. 1, Freeform has between six and eight family-friendly movies scheduled to air each night of the month. Their full schedule is listed on their website, and they kick off the programming block with Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory on Oct. 1. Many of the movies have more than one showing, so viewers can see the movies again if they wish, or can see a movie that they have missed later on in the month. More fan favorites airing throughout the month include Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas, Goosebumps, and the ever-classic The Addams Family.

While this programming block was originally targeted toward adult audiences from 1998-2004, strictly airing made-for-television movies, the focus shifted when FOX realized that they could expand their clientele if they expanded the number of movies that they show. Starting in 2006, FOX shifted their focus to younger audiences, airing movies such as Hocus Pocus, The Haunted Mansion, and Monster’s Inc., that is widely enjoyed by children. This shift proved to be a great success for the company, and in 2011, ABC (now Freeform) was able to shift the focus on younger audiences to include Halloween horror-related films in the lineup, while also catering to younger audiences at the same time.

While it’s no question that there are many Halloween fans in our population, going to haunted houses and other Halloween-themed attractions are going to be remote this year, if not completely cut out of the equation. 

With haunted houses most likely going remote, the surprise factor will be completely taken out. After all, many true Halloween fans will have already seen many of the movies that are usually included in 31 Days of Halloween. To combat this, Freeform has included a lot of new and scarier films in their rotation for everyone to enjoy this year. After all, who doesn’t love a good scare from time to time?