The college dropout drops by Sonoma State

exc-56130155e4b0fbb5e683cece
exc-56130155e4b0fbb5e683cece

facebook.com

The YouTube sensation, comedian and actor Jimmy Tatro is set to perform at Sonoma State on Oct. 16.

From making YouTube videos to being featured on the big screen, and now his own comedy tour, Jimmy Tatro shows no signs of slowing down. The 23-year-old comedian and actor is currently touring across the country performing his show “Jimmy Tatro Live: Memoirs of a College Dropout.” The show will be touching down on Sonoma State University’s campus on Oct 16.

In 2011, Tatro made debatably his smartest career move by sharing his sketch comedy videos with the YouTube world. At the time, Tatro was attending the University of Arizona and was a member of Pi Kappa Phi, living a fairly typical college ‘frat life.’ His videos are known for their comedic portrayal of the everyday problems a typical college student goes through. The success of his videos go beyond the comedic atmosphere; they are also relatable to almost every college student in some way.

Not only is Tatro the star of his videos, but he is also the writer, director and produceras well. Popular videos such as “THAT Drunk Guy” and “Breaking Up with Overly Attached Girlfriend” quickly captured the attention of millions.  This made him rise to fame, nearly overnight. His YouTube channel “LifeAccordingToJimmy” has now gained approximately 2.4 million subscribers and is continuously growing.

His over-the-top portrayal of a hard-partying frat boy even caught the attention of actor Adam Sandler, providing him the opportunity to hit the big screen. Tatro made his film debut in 2012’s “Grown Ups 2” and later made his next big appearance co-starring opposite Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in 2014’s “22 Jump Street.”

Many might say that Sonoma State is pretty much the complete opposite of what is portrayed in Tatro’s videos. Edgework Entertainment, the company hosting the show, has a strong desire to change this.

“We want to create a ‘real’ college environment with an active nightlife scene similar to almost every other college your friends go to,” said Adam Loria, head of Edgework Entertainment. Their goal is to put on a special event that is catered specifically to college students. Attendees can expect to walk into a college-themed venue with a lounge, food, full bar and drinking games (for those who are 21+). The show will be hosted by Tatro’s best friend and his co-star, Christian Pierce.

Additionally, an after party will be hosted by FLI HIGH Night Club, which will be free for all those who purchased a ticket and are over the age of 21. For anyone unable to get a ticket to the show, tickets to the after party will be sold at the door on a first come, first serve basis. Both Tatro and Pierce will be attending the after party, where there will be two student DJ’s, a full bar, an open lounge and drinking games.

“It will be a very unique opportunity for students of all ages to come together in a safe social setting other than a house party, the bars or some campus event that is seldom geared towards college students and their interests,” Loria stated.

This event was created entirely with Sonoma State students in mind. The venue is located one mile from Sonoma State campus at Sonoma Mountain Village Event Center, so students can really enjoy all the perks of being off campus while at the event. With safety as the number one priority, attendees will have the option to purchase a $3 round-trip shuttle service to and from campus that will run from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

The “Jimmy Tatro Live: Memoirs of a College Dropout” will take place on October 16 at 9 p.m. (doors open at 8 p.m.)  The after party will begin once the show ends.  It is an opportunity for Sonoma State students to experience a fun, unique night out.