SSU Students Turn Out For Associated Students Election

An approximate of 861 voters turned out for the Feb. 27 election – the highest recorded voter turnout across all CSU campuses this year.
    Associated Students Instagram (@as_sonoma) | Courtesy

Every Spring, SSU students band together to elect the next associated students, and this spring the student body has spoken on who they want to be the student advocates. On Feb. 27, students elected a new president, executive vice president, vice president of finance, and senator of diversity. These positions will aid students with community service opportunities, co-curricular activities on and off campus, and other student involvement activities to help gain a feel of community on campus. 

SSU students on campus elected Vanessa Sanchez as the next associated student president, Liana Yanez as vice president, Johnathan Duran Del Villar a vice president of finance, and Asad Franklin as senator of diversity. 

There was a turnout of approximately 891 voters which is the highest recorded voter turnout across all CSU campuses this year. It is a high turnout compared to last year, when only about 600 students voted. 

Sonoma State has a total of 5,867 students, which means that about 16 percent of the student population voted. The student government community has made an effort to raise the number of student voters by donating money toward clubs when members vote, on campus promotion, and more. 

Libby Sarato, a fourth year kinesiology major said, “Yes I did vote. I think it’s a great way to practice my right to vote and an easy way to allocate money to a club/org of my choice from the money I already pay towards AS as part of my student fees.”

Other students such as Jesse Lynn, a third year communication major said that he felt badgered to vote. 

Lynn said, “I didn’t vote on it because I was getting texts from the student union multiple times a week about it and it was incredibly annoying and badgering. I don’t even know how they got my number, but the more they texted me the less motivated I was to vote.”

Leila Brown, a second year Hutchins major, said “I did vote in the AS student election this year because I saw all their posts on  social media and received multiple emails from them about when to vote and how to vote. I think it’s important to vote in these elections because it allows for your voice to be heard.”