How young voters can prepare for the election

Sarah Jackson

Being prepared to vote is paramount because it ensures the country’s electoral integrity and educates Americans on what’s at stake. There will be long-term consequences for the country, and many Americans are impacted by the choices we make every four years. With election year already upon us, SSU students especially have a unique opportunity to educate themselves and should take advantage of campus resources to further educate themselves on voting. Sonoma State students are in a unique position and have the power to make a modern difference. As upcoming members of society, we will need to prepare for an eventful future in the political world.  

According to the California State Government,  California has already established a statewide initiative called the Students Vote Project that aims to promote voting education and inclusivity. SSU is acting on this initiative through its political science program, offering important information on voter registration and the requirements a student must meet. 

Through hosting civic engagement events, creating educational resources, and partnering with campuses and organizations, the state of California is making efforts to further emphasize the importance of electoral education and participation, creating communities meant to reinforce the state of democracy in America. As these initiatives continue to take their place in California’s educational system, SSU aims to implement these policies as a means to reinforce the next generation of voters. 

“For the most part, I know how to get access to voting areas. I see signs on campus and lots of tools to help us that are vital.” Third-year business and psychology major Faith Miller said. 

Sophie Sturdivant, a Hutchins School of Liberal Studies major said, “I think in general I am well educated and I know my resources. With this election, I don’t know how to feel because there are no good candidates.” The two went on to explain how it is important to vote but in such an unsteady political climate it is challenging. The two want to participate but don’t want to vote for someone they don’t believe in. 

SSU has been doing its part in educating and getting involved with the community. Master of Public Administration David McCuan said, “We do a ton of work in political science and with local groups like the Sonoma County League of Women Voters as well as the Marin County LWV.” 

McCuan later expressed that this next election will be, “The biggest one since 1860,” and that people like SSU students will be playing a critical role in this year’s turnout. McCuan recently hosted a public California political event where he worked with the Sonoma League of Women Voters educating them on statistics, resources, legislatures, and other important voting information for students to utilize. 

Former United States Secretary Julian Castro during his Social Justice Lecture on campus said, “Don’t be afraid… be sure to register now and actually vote… people love having young enthusiastic individuals participating, you should start now.” He went on to explain that every person has a place in our modern democracy and that younger generations have the power and the dedication to make a difference because they are so passionate. 

As a passionate political figure, Julian believes in inclusivity, education, and equity. However, the recent volatile political climate has made these goals difficult to reach and has created an unsteady pool of confused voters. Student voters especially should be well aware of their decisions because they are representing their interests, using their rights, and participating in the democratic process. As upcoming members of society, student voting habits should reflect the qualities that contribute to building a nation that addresses people’s wants and needs. 

A lack of crucial knowledge can’t possibly lead to a clear and confident ballot. Young citizens like our Seawolves will be participating in a world of politics and with supporting information from their institution, they could feel much more confident entering the political arena.