Cotati Police Department’s full throttle shift to electric patrol cars

Elias Kaplan
The Cotati Police Department’s newest Ford Mach E Mustang.

In recent months, the Cotati police department rolled out new Ford Mach-E Mustang cars to add to their patrol fleet. As the department plans to become fully electric in order to become more environmentally friendly, they now have four fully police-equipped electric vehicles, two Tesla Model Ys and two Ford Mach E Mustangs.

Police Chief Michael Parish explained that these cars are completely equipped with all code three equipment, including red and blue lights, sirens, radios and Mobile Data Computers that officers use for investigations and to receive information from dispatch.

The vehicles are also fully badged and marked, but the emblems may be hard to spot for drivers. Both Mach E Mustangs and one Model Y have black on black decals with silver badges, and their first Model Y is white with silver. The EVs are painted by staff at a local business known as Hines Signs.

Instagram user @herba_rosa commented under the department’s Instagram post about their first Mach E, “I’m glad this one is easier to identify as a police vehicle,” in reference to the Model Ys. Even though they may be hard to spot during the day, the material used for the markings is reflective in low light conditions, similar to 3M.

Sergeant Wardle, who drives their newest Mustang, spoke about the process of acquiring the EVs to use as police cruisers. The department purchases the EVs from dealerships and parts from patrol cars that get phased out are used to “upfit” the vehicles they acquire. Wardle gave an example where they took the radios from their Ford Crown Victorias and installed them in the new Mustangs.

It’s common to think that EVs are worse for the climate because of power plant emissions and fossil fuels used in production along with concerns of a collapse of the United States power grid. These worries and more have been debunked by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, explaining that EVs often have a smaller carbon footprint than gasoline cars and can support grid reliability with vehicle-to-grid charging, preventing an overload.

Other concerns from the public are centered around where taxpayers’ money is going and whether this will prove to be cheaper than owning a fleet of motorized vehicles. Considering maintenance costs are much lower, the expected service life span with EVs is longer than models like the Dodge Charger or the Ford Explorer, costs should even out.

Wardle said that driving 100 to 150 miles will only bring the Model Ys down to about 50 percent, which is a lot of ground coverage considering the town of Cotati is just under two square miles. Once the cars reach 50 percent of battery, or in-between calls and shifts, they’re brought back to the station to recharge.

“Even with some code three runs, going on the freeway, going into Rohnert Park, I have yet to hit below 50 percent.” Considering battery life, Wardle said they also haven’t dealt with extreme situations like taking a pursuit into San Francisco, “but we will find out when we get there.”

The city is the first department in Sonoma County to have EVs and pride themselves in making the innovative change, they were also the first to acquire body-cameras. “If you’re the first, you’re kind of the guinea pig,” said Wardle.