Fraternity members receive awards

exc-54345aa4e4b015282b375226
    exc-54345aa4e4b015282b375226

Tau Kappa Epsilon is a well-known fraternity at Sonoma State, but what most don’t know is that they were recently recognized at a Nationwide Conference as well. 

Founded in 1899, at Illinois University, TKE is an enormous chapter that continues to grow each day.

Every two years, a conference known as “Conclave” joins 291 TKE chapters together throughout the nation.

It took place this year in Washington D.C. where TKE won seven different awards and two of their members were recognized.

Six different members from Sonoma State attended the event and President Ricky Solomon was present to accept the awards and recognitions the chapter received. 

“The five awards [were] a testament to how much work every single member put in. It was rewarding to see how our efforts were noticed and will serve as motivation for future members,” said Solomon.

Solomon was also one of the two members to receive an individual award. This award is the highest award given to a collegiate member in the fraternity.

The Chief Executive Officer presents this to members who exemplify high ideals and have exceptional leadership skills. When receiving this award, Solomon was quite surprised.

“I did not expect it because there are in my opinion so many people who are qualified. It was a really humbling experience for me,” said Solomon.

Michael Booz, recent TKE alum and well-known leader throughout his chapter and at Sonoma State, was the other member to receive an individual award.

“College expands one’s mind not only in academics, but expands one’s growth as becoming a sterling human being,” said Booz. “Fraternities, sororities, clubs, student government and any other extracurricular activities partaken are essential to your success as a collegiate student.”

A specific award meant a lot to senior Alex Fast who was also at the conference in Washington D.C.

“The recruitment award we got is very important. Being the rush chairman, I want to continue to improve and continue to find guys that further advance our value in TKE,” said Fast.

TKE goes through a recruitment process twice a year in order to strengthen and expand their chapter.

“We always expect improvement,” said senior, Nicky Roberson, agreeing with Fast.

Ideals such as brotherhood make the TKE chapter known at SSU.

“The bond we have with each other is not something we go around and broadcast, but we broadcast it with each other. Whatever we’re doing, we do it together,” said Roberson.

Fast believes it’s their uniqueness that sets them apart as a chapter.

“How different each person is can always bring new things to our chapter,” said Fast.

Whatever it is TKE is doing, the chapter is being recognized by alumni and over large popular schools such as Virginia Tech.

“We all wore the same white polo to the conference and everybody knew,” said Fast. 

The entire conference knew exactly who TKE from SSU were after the awards were passed out and the conference was over.

“We weren’t just inspiring each other, we were inspiring other chapters across the country. They were saying our names all day,” said Roberson.

The hard work that the TKE chapter has put in over the years was finally recognized and TKE could not have been happier.

When they heard the news it brought the chapter together. 

“Because we are such a thriving chapter, being recognized for smaller things we did, really did motivate some of our younger guys to take on positions,” said Solomon.

The awards given to TKE will help continue to strengthen the chapter as a whole and will continue to reinforce their well-known reputation here at SSU.