‘Noma Nation’ unleashes Seawolf spirit

exc-544042d9e4b0f6b2529a91a2
    exc-544042d9e4b0f6b2529a91a2

When strolling around Sonoma State campus, one might be curious why students are wearing bright blue shirts with bold print that say “Noma Nation.” 

This is the start of change for showing pride at Sonoma State. There has been a lot of talk about the lack of spirit. Now it has been taken into action, and it’s called Noma Nation.

Many athletes say there is not much spirit at Sonoma State.

“I think Noma Nation is a great step that the school is taking toward in regards to school spirit,” said soccer player Chris Pihl. “The past few years I’ve noticed a real lack of school spirit and unity as Seawolves. 

It only makes us athletes more pumped up and excited during the games when we see a big crowd there.” 

The lack of school spirit is all about to change because of the new movement called Noma Nation. 

“Noma Nation’s movement is the beginning of that change this school needs,” said soccer player Evan Filipczyk. 

The idea is designed to increase the school spirit at sporting events; wearing Noma Nation T-shirts or showing up to the games can make a big difference.

“The problem has been a lack of communication and synergy between the groups,” said Associate Athletics Director for Communications and Marketing Brandon Bronzan.

That’s why he decided to help contribute and come up with Noma Nation. The main point is for this to effect each and every student. To show some spirit the students need to show support and spirit to fellow Seawolves.

“What makes Noma Nation different is that it’s a collaborative effort between several different groups,” said Bronzan.

It’s the whole Sonoma State community coming together and supporting one another in any way possible; that’s what Noma Nation is all about. 

It’s not only the communication of what is going on that needed improving but also the students need to step it up and show some school spirit. 

The first step is spreading the word of Noma Nation, which is already happening and many people are showing enthusiasm about it so far. 

The students need to keep building up this enthusiasm because the support from the fans keeps the athletes motivated.

Noma Nation has a website with information about all of the athletics as well as blogs and social media following the sports.

When visiting the site a page will show up asking to be a part of Noma Nation. Membership is free and with it one can get text alerts about games and events, plus special invitations to rallies and opportunities to win prizes simply for showing school pride.

There will be T-shirts passed around at every game to people in the crowd that are showing Seawolf spirit. There are going to be exciting spirit events coming soon so get ready to paint up and unleash the Seawolf pride.

“While it may have started in athletics, we would like to see it spread throughout campus,” said Bronzan.

The spirit is not just focused on athletics but also clubs, Greek organizations and service groups.

“There is a spot for everyone in Noma Nation,” said Bronzan.

Noma Nation is simply all about raising Seawolf pride within the Sonoma State community. 

Check out the website at sonomaseawolves.com/nomanation.