Stop eating junk food, grab a turkey wrap

There are many great things about college, such as all the friends and freedoms that come with it. But if there’s one thing students truly miss from back home, it’s mama’s home cooking. 

When coming to college many students dread the idea of cooking for themselves because of their lack of experience; because of these lack of cooking skills many students have fallen victim to a frozen food diet.

These poor diet choices are often lead contributors to the weight that many students gain after their first year of college better know as the “freshman fifteen.” 

Below are two great recipes that are healthy and easy for anyone with minimal skills to make. The first recipe is for turkey lettuce wraps; this particular recipe can be found on the Food Network website (www.foodnetwork.com).

This recipe is great for both young and older people because it has a lot of vegetables such as mushrooms, scallions and garlic which all provide natural nutrients for our bodies. 

Also the protein provided from the turkey is exactly what is needed to help one refuel after a long day.

This recipe requires honey in order to prepare the delicious drizzling sauce for the wraps; experts have encouraged people to use the local honey from their area because it has been proven that a teaspoon of local honey a day can help with pollen allergies.

This recipe serves four people and only takes 25 minutes to make. It’s simple and provides enough for the consumer and their friends to share or they can even save it for later. 

The next recipe is a vegan tofu spinach lasagna, the recipe can be found on The Daily Green website (www.thedailygreen.com).

This recipe is great for vegans or anyone who is looking for large filling meals that are easy to prepare.

The recipe is not only free of animal byproducts but also offers eight to 10 servings leaving the consumer with plenty of leftovers.

This meal contains a lot of spinach; one of the lesser-known facts about this vegetable is that it contains vitamins that can help improve people’s complexion.

Also a lot of carbohydrates are found from the noodles in this meal leaving the consumer full of energy.

According to ongoing research at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, 60 percent of college students consume too much artery-clogging saturated fat.

It’s important for students and people in general to treat their body with respect in order to have all the vitamins needed to function and achieve daily goals.

Students should take more steps to improve daily health by trying one of the recipes below and not allow microwavable dinners to rule their diet.