Tell the world we’re coming home

With the start of fall everyone is getting into the swing of things and Sonoma can now see the leaves change; Homecoming is upon Sonoma State. By visiting the Associated Students Facebook page, students can see what SSU has in store for Homecoming 2013.

Homecoming is put together this year by student organizations and individuals committed to spreading and maintaining SSU spirit, by giving students the opportunities to interact and be proud to be Seawolves at SSU.

The collaborating entities working together hand in hand with students and anyone interested in spirit at SSU are the Associated Students, more specifically, their newest interest group called the Tradition Coalition.

The Tradition Coalition’s sole mission and purpose is to spread school spirit. The Associated Students Productions and Residential Life are among the many who also worked in collaboration to make Homecoming at SSU one of the biggest and most successful events at Sonoma State.

The packed week kicks off today. In the Darwin Quad the Associated Students Tradition Coalition will be hosting Noma Nation Upgrade Day. The AS will be exchanging students’ shirts from other campuses and giving them brand new Noma Nation T-shirts donated by the Athletics Department.

The Tradition Coalition will be out there from noon to 1 p.m.; however, Homecoming festivities don’t end there. Wednesday, on the Mario Savio Speakers’ Corner, will be the AS Picnic Day.

At Picnic Day from noon to 1 p.m. there will be live music and the opportunity to relax on the Stevenson lawn while listening to student DJs. In support of the Homecoming spirit, the Tradition Coalition will be giving away free SSU fleece blankets and sandwiches from the Pub.

The Tradition Coalition is in its first year after being created by the AS Senate. The Tradition Coalition was created due a to lack of school spirit and lack of understanding of who is in charge of planning specific spirit events on the SSU campus.

Pack The Pub, which was on Sept. 20, was one of the Tradition Coalition’s first events. It was successful in attempting to gather as many students as possible at the Pub to rally together to the soccer game that day.

“College is a time to find your home away from home, which is why I’ve been working hard to instill a sense of pride and belonging for everyone on this campus,” said Involvement Senator Angie Durkee.

“Sonoma State is a newer university and doesn’t have huge established traditions. I have been working hard with student government members, the student government coordinator, my Tradition Coalition group, and constituents to organize events like Pack the Pub and Homecoming in order to increase school spirit and build a stronger community.”

To learn more about what the Tradition Coalition organization does or how to join contact Durkee, who is leading the Tradition Coalition this year, at [email protected].

Homecoming will come together on Thursday for a night of incredible light, electrifying music and the whole campus to dance on. To get in the spirit for the Homecoming games on Friday, the Associated Students, ASP, the Tradition Coalition and some incredible student talents are hosting a one of a kind dance that shouldn’t be missed.

The AS is now trying to steer toward helping students who would like to showcase a talent by making sure they have the opportunity to do so.

“I’ve wanted to see a large scale dance event on SSU’s campus since I began DJing three years ago, and knew that if I wanted to make this dream into reality I’d have to help in the planning process,” said senior Sam Obermeyer, who will be the headlining DJ for Thursday’s event.

“We have such a great potential to have fun on this campus, you just have to think outside of the box.  Tapping into the student talent here at SSU brings everyone together under one event.”

The official Homecoming dance, Howl at the Moon, will be outside on the Darwin Quad between Stevenson and Darwin. A night full of lights and dancing, this event will be free with SSU I.D. from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Don’t forget to go check out and support the soccer teams on Friday from 1-4:40 p.m. The Associated Students will hold event activities before the games right outside the gates of the soccer field, giving out SSU gear, and for the first time ever there will be a beer garden for anyone of age to enjoy before and during the games.

“Homecoming is going to be phenomenal this year and I’m beyond excited,” said Durkee. “Associated Students is bringing back traditions better than ever before. Sonoma State, prepare for the best year ever and get pumped for Homecoming.”