Lobo’s fails to impress opening week

Lobo’s, the newest restaurant on campus, may leave people howling. 

The venue opened last week on the bottom floor of the Student Center and replaced Ameci’s and the Pub. Both are now officially closed.

The restaurant is more spacious than Ameci’s and the Pub, and has a modern vibe, complete with an outdoor eating area. 

There are flat screen televisions throughout the restaurant and towards the back of the dining room there is a pool table. 

Similarly to the old venues, customers order at the counter and then seat themselves in the dining room. 

Lobo’s is open every day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Now to the important question: how was the food? The reviews were definitely mixed.

“I thought the food was pretty good but the service was slow,” said student Brittany Finley. “That is expected since it just opened and everyone wants to try it.”

While standing in line there were a noticeable number of students leaving because it was too busy, and around noon the line to order was out the door. Students appeared to be excited. 

“I am glad that Lobo’s opened before finals,” said student Karlie Daubert. “It will be a great place for students to get food and take a break from studying.”

While many students seemed satisfied with the service at Lobo’s, there was one complaint that was repeated time and time again. Lobo’s does not feature a happy hour. 

Many students visited the Pub during happy hour because it cut the price of all drinks in half. 

A beer at Lobo’s is a set price regardless of time or the day of the week. 

Lobo’s has four beers on tap which include Coors Light, Lagunitas IPA (from Petaluma), Lost Coast Great White (from Humboldt County) and Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. 

The beer is available for $4.50 a glass and $15 a pitcher, excluding Coors Light, which is $3.50 a glass and $12 a pitcher.

Bottled drinks include Corona, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Sierra Nevada and Kona Longboard. 

There is also a wine menu that consists of Geyser Peak Chardonnay, Ravenswood Zinfandel and a featured wine that changes occasionally.

Another issue students mentioned was that the food is not cheap. 

In fact, a 16-inch pizza will set you back $20 dollars. 

Fans of the Pub’s sandwiches may not be very pleased with the sandwich selection at Lobo’s, where favorites like the Barbecue Western Bird or the Larry Allen only exist as delicious memories.

The menu includes five different salads and only three sandwiches; however, Lobo’s does have a wide range of appetizers. 

Customers can order everything from fried cheese bites and onion rings to baked potatoes and chili cheddar fries. 

The menu also has desserts such as brownie sundaes, wolf bites and apple pie. 

What about the beloved Seawolf Sundae? Unfortunately, it did not make it onto the menu at Lobo’s. 

Upperclassmen who remember the Pub’s and Ameci’s specialties are sure to miss the well known specials such as Seawolf bites, those delicious cinnamon sweets and the convenient daily special; two slices of pizza and a side salad. 

Some may argue that the replacing of Ameci’s and the Pub was a mistake, but there is no turning back now. 

As more venues open in the Student Center, the building will become a central location for student life.

So what is the bottom line? Sonoma State senior Joe McManus summed it up perfectly.

“Pros: it’s a new venue on campus that looks good,” said McManus. “Cons: no happy hour, bad food, it’s expensive and not run very well.” 

It will be interesting to see if any changes will be implemented to the menu come spring.