Job Fair attracts hopeful students

exc-541b6bc4e4b019f079f7a69f
    exc-541b6bc4e4b019f079f7a69f

The Sonoma State Job Fair is set up to attract students and open their minds to a variety of different jobs: 114 to be specific. There were companies from Citibank to Amy’s Kitchen, Office Depot to KTLN TV, and Kohl’s to the U.S. Department of State. 

The Job Fair took place in the Student Center Ballroom and was packed with tables and people dressed in work uniforms. Chatter filled the rooms as students asked employers about their businesses and what the employers were looking for.

At the Sherwin Williams Company table was a Sonoma State University alumnus, Shane Funk, who is now a store manager. He became connected with the company through the Sonoma State Job fair.  

Imari Henderson, HR recruiter of the Sherwin Williams Company, said, “The Sherwin Williams Company has been around since 1866. We go to the Sonoma State University job fair every year. Our company is looking for candidates who want to look to be in business and who want to grow in their career; somebody who can communicate appropriately. It is a paid career with a 401K and everything. This isn’t your typical job. One must be able to wear a variety of different hats; customer service, financial statements, sales, etc.”

There were many organizations directed toward students who want to go into a career where they would be able to help those in need. One of these organizations was On My Own.

“On My Own is an organization that provides supportive living services to developmentally disabled adults,“ said Patty Young, spokeswoman at the booth. “We try to find students who are willing to work one-on-one with disabled individuals. Each student needs to have a driver’s license and their own reliable source of transportation.”

For the students who were looking for an internship with unique learning experiences that are customized to their interests, there was the Center for International Studies Abroad table.

“CIS (Center for International Studies) is offering customized internships where there will be a unique experience to get great work experience. Many students are interested because they can get the experiences they are looking for,” said Kylie Gallagher, university relations coordinator.

While there were many well-known corporations like Target, Peace Corps and Comcast Cable, there were many that were not heard of. It was corporations like Urbansitter.com that opened up many students’ eyes to the unknown.

Colette Perachiotti, the community manager of Urban Sitter, said, “Urbansitter.com is an organization that connects babysitters and families. Parents are able to find who their friends get as sitters. It’s a free site for sitters, unless they wish to upgrade. The site receives a lot of activity.”

“This is my third job fair and I feel like every year is different,” said senior Jennifer Gehrmann. “I’m not sure what I want to do yet. The Job Fair opens my mind to different careers. All of the employers are really excited to tell you about their expertise and they’re really nice.”

Many students found the job fair “overwhelming” but not in a bad way. They felt it was a great way to open their eyes to the real world.

“I definitely find the Job Fair very helpful, but very overwhelming. I came in here looking for something but there are so many options. It’s an eye-opener for sure,” said senior Thida Vattanawase.

“I’m looking for a psychology related therapeutic position,” said junior Rachel Hickey. “Walking into the job fair, I felt overwhelmed with opportunity. I definitely feel the job fair is very helpful. It gets me excited about my future and where I might end up. It makes me extremely excited for grad school.”

The atmosphere was full of well-dressed students hoping to “get their foot in the door.”

Many students were hoping to find an internship or even a career from the Job Fair. Other students found the Job Fair to be an opportunity to see a wide variety of different careers available.

Ashleen Ray, freshman, said, “I’m really hoping for an internship next year. I think the job fairs are very helpful. They’re definitely eye opening. I’m planning to come to future job fairs as well because I want to be prepared for future years to come.” 

Being in Sonoma County, there were a few students hoping to speak to different wine companies about the opportunities they could receive as Wine Business Majors.

Lauren Mitrovich, senior and president of the wine club, said, “I am a wine business major and there are a variety of different wineries here with many different aspects of the industry.”

The Sonoma State University Job Fair was highly recommended by many different students and employers. 

It was a friendly atmosphere that was there for one purpose only; to help students find internships and future career opportunities.